Combined 4+1 Bachelor’s/Master’s in Biology
The combined 4+1 master’s degree in biology is a 30-hour program that builds on your Bradley biology degree and research experience as an undergraduate.
Preparing You For Success
The BS/MS degree is a five-year combined degree that allows you to start your graduate work as a senior. It sharpens your research skills as you complete advanced undergraduate biology courses. You apply to the program as a junior and take your final undergraduate courses while you begin graduate work. You complete the master's degree with a comprehensive oral exam, thesis project, defense and public seminar.
Making Your Mark
Biology graduate degrees are valuable for scientists, physicians, educators and veterinarians. Recent graduates have continued their education at institutions such as Purdue University and University of Illinois Veterinary School. Other graduates are working for Monsanto and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
BS/MS Program Requirements
Students may dual count up to 9 hours from their undergraduate degree in this program. To be admitted to this program, students must have a minimum 3.2 GPA overall and in biology, completed 85 hours at time of admission to the program (99 hours if admitted at beginning of senior year), and a member of the faculty willing to serve as thesis advisor.
Required Courses - 7 hrs.
- BIO 500: Thesis Proposal Preparation - 1 hr
- BIO 699: Thesis - 6 hrs
Elective Courses Group A - 15 hrs.
- BIO 502: Biometry - 3 hrs.
- BIO 503: Molecular Genetics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 505: Topics in Bioethics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 506: Advanced Microbiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 508: Advanced Bacterial Pathogenesis - 3 hrs.
- BIO 509: Human Genetics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 517: Environmental Physiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 519: Comparative Animal Behavior - 3 hrs.
- BIO 520: Advanced Ecosystems Ecology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 525: Advanced Physiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 526: Advanced Pathophysiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 527: Physiology of Anesthesia - 3 hrs.
- BIO 530: Plant Systematics - 3 hrs.
- BIO 540: Evolution - 3 hrs.
- BIO 550: Conservation Biology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 563: Advanced Plant Ecology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 564: Advanced Cell Biology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 568: Cellular and Molecular Immunology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 575: Special Graduate Topics in Biology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 582: Endocrinology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 583: Stem Cell Biology and Tissue Regeneration - 3 hrs.
- BIO 584: Neurophysiology - 3 hrs.
Elective Courses Group B - 8 hrs.
- BIO 580: Reading - 1-6 hrs.
- BIO 585: Research - 1-6 hrs.
- BIO 681: Readings - 1-6 hrs.
- BIO 683: Research - 1-6 hrs.
Note: A total of 12 hours must be at the 600 level.