Concentration in Pre-Med
The biomedical science concentration in pre-med prepares you for success in medical school or other post-graduate work such dental school or physicians assistant programs.
Preparing You for Success
The degree is a good starting point to medical school. Classes introduce you to research methods your freshman year, then you can build on those through labs, independent studies and summer research. You also explore medical physiology and human anatomy in a hands-on cadaver lab.
By the time you graduate, your experiences may include:
- One-on-one mentorship from faculty
- Opportunities to publish your research or share it at professional conferences
- A senior research capstone project
- Opportunities for networking and professional development through Tri-Beta national honor society and the Biology Undergraduate Society
Making Your Mark
Pre-med majors are valuable as scientists, doctors, chiropractors, dentists and veterinarians. Most students pursue medical school or graduate degrees.
The pre-med concentration requires completion of the undergraduate biomedical science major plus the following.
Required Courses - 9 hrs.
- BMS 465: Medical Physiology - 3 hrs.
- BMS 466: Human Anatomy - 3 hrs.
- CHM 360: Biochemistry - 3 hrs.
Elective Courses (choose two) - 6-8 hrs.
- BIO 406: General Microbiology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 464: Cell Biology - 3-4 hrs.
- BIO 482: Endocrinology - 3 hrs.
- BIO 484: Neurophysiology - 3-4 hrs.
- BIO 485: Research - 3 hrs.
- BIO 505: Topics in Bioethics - 3 hrs.
Sample program plan information is provided for sample purposes only. Students should consult with their academic advisor about their individual plan for course registration and completion of program requirements.
|Freshman - Fall Semester|
|BMS 150||Introduction to Biomedical Science||2 hours|
|CHM 110/111||General Chemistry I - Lab||4 hours|
|MTH 115||Calculus I||4 hours|
|Core Courses||6 hours|
|Freshman - Spring Semester|
|BIO 151/152||Molecules to Cells - Lab||3 hours|
|CHM 116/117||General Chemistry II - Lab||5 hours|
|MTH 116||Calculus II||3 hours|
|COM 103||Oral Communication||3 hours|
|Sophomore - Fall Semester|
|BIO 250||Organismal Biology||4 hours|
|BIO 260||Biological Statistics I||1 hours|
|CHM 252/253||Organic Chemistry I - Lab||4 hours|
|SOC 100||Sociological Perspective||3 hour|
|Sophomore - Spring Semester|
|BIO 251/252||Ecology, Evolution and Biodiversity - Lab||4 hours|
|BIO 261||Biological Statistics II||2 hours|
|CHM 256/257||Organic Chemistry II - Lab||4 hours|
|PSY 101||Principles of Psychology||3 hours|
|Junior - Fall Semester|
|BIO 310/311||Genetics - Lab||4 hours|
|PHY 107||Physics I||4 hours|
|Junior - Spring Semester|
|BMS 466||Human Anatomy||4 hours|
|PHY 108||Physics II||4 hours|
|Senior - Fall Semester|
|BMS 320||Environment and Human Health||3 hours|
|BMS 465||Medical Physiology||3 hours|
|Senior - Spring Semester|
|BMS 490||Biomedical Science Capstone||1 hour|