Chairman and Professor, Construction Program Head
Jobst Hall 108
Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Structural), University of Oklahoma
M.Sc., Civil Engineering (Structural), University of Oklahoma
B.Sc., Building Engineering and Construction, l’Ecole Nationale d’Ingénieurs de Tunis
Dr. Elhouar joined the faculty of Civil Engineering and Construction at Bradley University in the Fall of 1994. He holds an M.Sc. and a Ph.D. in structural engineering from the University of Oklahoma at Norman, Oklahoma. He is interested in the design and implementation of artificial intelligence applications in structural engineering, and in the study of connection design methodologies and the analysis of the behavior of composite members. His achievements include the development of brace force prediction equations for Z-purlin supported roof systems. These equations were adopted by the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI) and incorporated in their Cold-Formed Steel Design Specification and Manual. He also developed many expert-system and conventional computer applications, the most notable of which was the steel connection design expert system called CONXPRT, that were widely used by the steel industry.
Honors and Awards
- 2014 CEC Outstanding Faculty Award Recipient. Awarded by the CEC Advisory Board to a faculty member who shows overall outstanding performance in teaching, service, and scholarship, Department of Civil Engineering and Construction, Bradley University.
- 2013 Francis C. Mergen Award for Public Service, Bradley University
- The Proud Eagle Award, a service award presented by the Department of Civil Engineering and Construction at Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, May 4, 2009
- 2002-2003, 2008-2009, and 2010-2011 Bradley University Caterpillar Fellowship Research Award
- 2006 CEC Outstanding Faculty Award Recipient. Awarded by the CEC Advisory Board to a faculty member who shows overall outstanding performance in teaching, service, and scholarship, Department of Civil Engineering and Construction, Bradley University.
- The Proud Eagle Award, a service award presented by the Department of Civil Engineering and Construction at Bradley University, Peoria, Illinois, May 5, 1998
Dr. Elhouar specializes in the analysis and design of steel structures and he has taught steel design and advanced steel design courses many times. Throughout his career, he taught courses dealing with the following subjects:
- Mechanics of Materials
- Numerical Methods
- Structural Analysis
- Advanced Structural Analysis ((Graduate)
- Introductory Steel Design
- Advanced Steel Design (Graduate)
- Introductory Reinforced Concrete Design
- Introductory Foundation Analysis and Design
- Masonry Design
- Wood Design
- Structural Stability (Graduate)
- Seismic Design of Structures (Graduate)
- CADD Applications in Civil Engineering and Construction
- Advanced CADD (Graduate)
- Building Information Modeling (Graduate)
- Computer Applications in Civil Engineering and Construction
- Advanced Computing in Civil Engineering and Construction (Graduate)
- Professional Ethics in Civil Engineering and Construction
- Capstone Senior Design Project
- Computer modeling of structural systems and components
- CADD and Building Information Modeling
- Technology in Construction
- Artificial Intelligence Applications in Engineering
- Knowledge-Based Expert Systems (Design and Implementation and Multimedia Integration)
- Study of steel connection design methodologies
- Composite Design
- Cold-formed steel structures (full-scale and model testing)
- Behavior of unreinforced and reinforced masonry structures
- Progressive Collapse Analysis and Design
- Elhouar, S., Khodair, Y., and Kamischke, A., (2017), “Evaluation of Flange Bending Capacity near Member Ends Using a Finite Element Analysis Approach,” ASCE Structures Congress, April 6 to 8, 2017, Denver, CO.
- Muvdi, B.B. and Elhouar, S., (2016) Mechanics of Materials with Applications in Excel, CRC Press/Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL, June 21st, 2016.
ISBN-10: 1466570717 and ISBN-13: 978-1466570719
- Elhouar, S., Dragoo, D., Khodair, Y. A., and Lee, Y.-S., (2015), “Performance Evaluation of Snow and Ice Plows,” Final Report submitted to the Illinois Center for Transportation, Illinois Department of Transportation, Springfield, IL, November 2015.
- Elhouar, S., Khodair,Y. A., Lee, Yoon-Si, Peters, T. (2015). “Best Practices in Snow and Ice Removal.” Proceedings of the 72nd Annual Meeting of the Eastern Snow Conference, June 10th, 2015, Quebec, Canada.
- Elhouar, S., Al-Khafaji, A. (2014). “Preparing Engineers for Global Challenges.” ASEE International Forum (ed., vol. 2014). Indianapolis, Indiana: American Society for Engineering Education, June 14th, 2014.
- Elhouar, S., Khodair, Y. A., Lee, Y.-S., and Peters, T. (2014). “Synthesis of Best Practices in Snow and Ice Removal.” 71st Annual Meeting of the Eastern Snow Conference, Boone, NC, June 3-5, 2014
- Elhouar, S., Ghosh, S., Wolfe, K., and George, B., (2012) “Teaching Ethics in Construction: Student Perspectives,” Proceedings of the 2012 ASC Region 3 Annual Conference, Downers Grove, IL, October 17-20, 2012.
- Elhouar, S. and Khodair, Y., (2012) “A Simplified Approach for Evaluating Second-Order Effects in Low-Rise Steel-Framed Buildings”, American Institute of Steel Construction Engineering Journal, Volume 49, No.2, Second Quarter 2012, 65-78.
Dr. Elhouar is the recipient of the 2013 Bradley University Francis C. Mergen Award for Public Service. He has been involved in a number of service oriented activities, the most notable of which are running the CEC Bridge-Pal program, helping CEC students build playgrounds for local schools and communities, serving on the Peoria Race Relations Commission, and serving as the advisor to the BU student chapter of the Construction Honorary Society Sigma Lambda Chi. He has also been involved in the following activities and committees at the national level:
- Member: ACCE Standards Committee (February 2014 – Present)
- Member: ACCE Document 103 Revision Taskforce (February to December 2017)
- Member: ACCE 103 OSB Revision Taskforce (February to May 2016)
- Member: ACCE Task Force on Outcome Based Standards (2013)
- ACCE Visiting Team Chair
- ACCE Visiting Team Member
- Member AISC Partners In Education Committee (PIE) 2007-2015
- Member ASCE and ASCE Technical Council on Computing and Information Technology – Intelligent Computing committee.
- Member AISC (The American Institute of Steel Construction)