Business and Engineering Convergence Center 2276
Ph.D., Civil Engineering (Hydraulics), Pennsylvania State University
M.S., Civil Engineering (Hydraulics), University of Texas at San Antonio
B.S., Water Resources Engineering, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology
2018-present Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering and Construction, Bradley University, Peoria, IL
2016-2018 Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA
2017 Advanced Short-term Research Opportunity (ASTRO) Fellow, Climate Change Science Institute, Oak Ridge National Lab, Oak Ridge, TN
2017 Lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, North South University, Bangladesh
2015-2016 Lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Villanova University, Philadelphia
2011 Water Resources Engineer, Irrigation Management Division, Institute of Water Modeling, Bangladesh
Open Channel Hydraulics
Water Supply and Hydraulic Engineering
- Bridge scour
- Hydraulics and geomorphology of rivers and streams
- Hydrologic reanalyses and projections
- Channel instability
- Water Resource System safety
- Ashraf, F. U., and Flint, M. (2020) “Analysis of peak flow distribution for bridge collapse sites.” Water, 12(1), https://doi.org/10.3390/w12010052
- Ashraf, F. U., and Johnson, P. A. (2016)“Assessing relative risk for the failure modes of a bridge scour countermeasure.” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 21(5): 04016010
- Islam, M.H., Rahman, M. M., and Ashraf, F. U. (2010) “Assessment of water quality and impact of effluents from fertilizer factories to the Lakhya River.” International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, 2(8), 208-221.
- Ashraf, F., and Timothy, K. (2020) “Finding trend in extreme events for hydraulic bridge collapse sites.” AWRA 2020 Geospatial Water Technology Conference on “Complex Systems”, Austin, TX. (Accepted).
- Ashraf, F. U., and Flint, M. (2019) “A novel paradigm of risk study for bridge infrastructure.” 2019 ASCE-EWRI World Environment and Water Resources Congress, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Ashraf, F., and Timothy, K. (2019) “How to explain flood frequency distribution parameters in bridge hydraulics.” 2019 AGU Fall Meeting, San Francisco, CA.
- Johnson, P. A., and Ashraf, F. U. (2016) “Using risk matrices for assessing bridge vulnerability to stream channel instability.” 2016 ASCE-EWRI Conference EWRI World Environmental and Water Resources Congress, West Palm Beach, FL.
- Ashraf, F. U., and Liu, X. (2013) “River meandering prediction: case studies for four rivers in Texas.” 2013 ASCE-EWRI World Environment and Water Resources Congress, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Liu, X.., Ashraf, F., Strom, K.B., Wang, K., Briaud, J., Sharif, H., and Bin-Shafique, S. (2014) “Assessment of the effects of regional channel stability and sediment transport on roadway hydraulic structures.” Project No. 0–6724, Technical Report 0-6724-1
- Developing a decision support framework for resilient and sustainable multi-hazard bridge design, PI, Bradley's Caterpillar Fellowship Program Program, Duration: 2019-2020
- Compatible flood frequency analysis for robust bridge hydraulics, PI, Bradley's Special Emphasis (SE) Program, Duration: 2019-2020
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- American Society of Civil Engineers Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI)
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- American Water Resources Association (AWRA
- Engineers without Borders USA (EWB-USA)
- American Association of University Women (AAUW)
Licensures and Certifications
Honors and Awards
- HydroLearn Fellowship, National Science Foundation, 2019
- Advanced Short-term Research Opportunity (ASTRO) Fellowship, Climate Change Science
- Institute, Oak Ridge National Lab, 2017
- Tuition Grant, Penn State University, University Park, 2013-15
- Fellowship for Foreign Graduate Students, American Association of University Women, Washington, D.C., 2013
- Graduate Student Professional Development Award, University of Texas at San Antonio, 2013
- Valero Masters’ Advanced Research Scholarship, University of Texas at San Antonio, 2012
- Valero Research Scholarship, University of Texas at San Antonio, 2011