Advertising is everywhere. It’s on the shirt you’re wearing, the interstate billboard and cluttering your Facebook and Twitter feeds. If we’re honest, you’re reading an ad right now. Thanks to critical thinking skills and creative planning, advertising majors know how to cut through clutter to connect with people.
Preparing You For Success
As an advertising major, you won’t spend four years reading textbooks. Instead, you learn advertising, public relations and marketing through real projects for local organizations, with a full advertising campaign for the senior capstone. When finished, you’ll understand how to develop socially responsible advertising for local, national and global audiences.
By the time you graduate, your experiences may include:
- Networking and professional development through the American Advertising Federation, Public Relations Student Society of America and the International Association of Business Communicators
- A week assisting advertising and public relations staff at the Chicago Auto Show
- Internships with organizations such as the Peoria Rivermen, Anheuser-Busch, MGM and Walt Disney
Making Your Mark
Advertising majors are valuable additions for local nonprofits, creative agencies and the corporate world. Recent Bradley advertising graduates are working as marketing directors, graphic designers, account managers and social media coordinators with companies such as Toyota, MGM, Caterpillar and the United Way.
Required Courses - 45 hrs.
- COM 202: Basic Advertising Writing - 3 hrs.
- COM 219: Public Relations - 3 hrs.
- COM 220: Advertising as Communication - 3 hrs.
- COM 320: Advertising Creative Strategy - 3 hrs.
- COM 322: Media Planning - 3 hrs.
- COM 325: Advertising Design and Production - 3 hrs.
- COM 400: Communications Research - 3 hrs.
- COM 481: Advertising Campaigns - 3 hrs.
- MTG 315: Principles of Marketing - 3 hrs.
Advertising Major Electives (Optional)
- COM 437: Advertising in a Global Environment - 3 hrs.
- COM 447: Issues and Ethics in Advertising - 3 hrs.
- COM 474: Advanced Copywriting - 3 hrs.
Total Hours - 36