Assistant Professor in Residence
Westlake Hall 241
Ed.D. Teaching and Learning, Illinois State University
M.A. Reading, Illinois State University
M.A. Educational Leadership, Western Illinois University
B.A. Elementary Education. St. Louis University
Dr. Urbanc was born and raised in Peoria, and she is very excited to have joined the amazing faculty and staff here at Bradley University. She started her career in education teaching third and fourth grades. She then taught small group ESL instruction for six years prior to accepting an ESL Coordinator position. In the two years leading up to her arrival at Bradley, Dr. Urbanc continued her work as Coordinator, and added the role of Language Specialist where she supported classroom teachers in their implementation of best practice instructional strategies for multilingual learners. As previously stated, she is excited to be here at Bradley to serve, guide, and teach the next generation of educational leaders!
- ETE 115: The History of Education in the United States
- ETE 234: Language Development
- ETE 235: Methods of Teaching English Language Learners
Dr. Urbanc is very passionate about engaging pre-service teachers in educational practices that will lead to not just the acquisition of knowledge, but the application of it too. It is her goal that each and every student will enter the field feeling prepared and confident for whatever comes their way!
- Dr. Urbanc has presented at the Illinois Reading Reading Council state conference and has published a chapter in the book Response to Intervention in the Core Content Areas, edited by Jeff Bakken.
- Dr. Urbanc’s research interests lie in the field of cultural/linguistic identity negotiations rooted in positioning theory. Her recent research focuses on student self-advocacy at the collegiate level. Her research is grounded in qualitative methods. She has presented at the Illinois Reading Reading Council state conference and has published a chapter in the book Response to Intervention in the Core Content Areas, edited by Jeff Bakken.
- Member of the Bradley University Clinical Committee
- Member of the Bradley University ESL Committee
Licensures and Certifications
- Elementary Education
- Educational Administration
- Reading Specialist
- English as a Second Language