Master of Arts in Counseling – Professional School Counseling
The 60-hour school counseling master’s degree prepares you for the National Counselor Examination and careers in schools, government, nonprofits or education-focused businesses. Once you pass the NCE, you may apply for licensure in Illinois and many other states.
Preparing You For Success
You learn how to work in pre-K through secondary education settings in the CACREP-accredited program. You learn how to effectively work with teachers, administrators and other members of guidance and student assistance teams. Courses enable you to practice while you learn, as each one includes hands-on experiences. During practicums and internships, you spend 750 hours in supervised school counselings settings tailored to your interests.
Your experiences include:
- The same academic core as the clinical mental health counseling degree
- Internships and practicums in central Illinois schools
- Networking and professional mentoring through the Chi Sigma Iota honor society
- Scholarship opportunities for professional educators
Making Your Mark
The degree provides new opportunities to help people as a school counselor, college advisor or guidance counselor. You also can work for education advocacy organizations, education-focused corporations and government agencies. Recent graduates are working for public and private K-12 schools throughout the country.
Graduate Program Requirements
Graduate Core Credits - 6 hrs.
- ENC 604: Research Methodology and Applications - 3 hrs.
- ENC 606: Interpersonal Behavior and Organizational Leadership - 3 hrs.
Program Core - 45 hrs.
- ENC 530: Loss and Grief Counseling - 1 hr.
- ENC 540: Human Growth and Development - 3 hrs.
- ENC 551: Substance Abuse Counseling - 2 hrs.
- ENC 586: Counseling Diverse Populations - 3 hrs.
- ENC 620: Introduction to Counseling: Professional Orientation - 2 hrs.
- ENC 621: Career and Life Planning Across Lifespan - 3 hrs.
- ENC 622: Counseling: Ethics and the Law - 1 hr.
- ENC 623: Pre-Practicum in Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 624: Theories and Techniques of Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 625: Principles of Group Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 630: Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Disorders - 3 hrs.
- ENC 631: Crisis Intervention Counseling - 1 hr.
- ENC 632: Psychopharmacology - 1 hr.
- ENC 640: Supervision - 2 hrs.
- ENC 641: Assessment in Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 654: Consultation in Helping Professions - 2 hrs.
- ENC 661: Couples and Family Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 690: Fall Practicum - 2 hrs.
- ENC 691: Internship I in School Counseling - 1 hr.
- ENC 692: Internship II in School Counseling- 3 hrs.
Professional School Counseling Specialty Area Course Work - 9 hrs. teachers; 10 hrs. non-teachers
- ENC 653: Professional School Counseling K-8 - 3 hrs.
- ENC 655: Professional School Counseling in Secondary Schools - 3 hrs.
- Electives - 3 hrs.
Required Electives for Non-teachers - 4 hrs.
- ENC 585: Understanding Schools: A Primer for Non-Teachers - 2 hrs.
- ENC 669: Special Education Law - 2 hrs.