Master of Arts in Counseling – Professional School Counseling
The master’s degree in professional school counseling is a 60-61 credit-hour program that readies you for the National Counselor Examination, licensure, and a subsequent career in schools, government, nonprofits or education-focused businesses. As a CACREP accredited program, you’ll meet all the requirements needed to start working with confidence.
Taking Your Future Forward
So why should you choose Bradley’s professional school counseling degree? As a Bradley graduate student, you’ll build upon the core academics of clinical mental health counseling to learn how to work in educational settings. Over the course of 750 hours of supervised practicums and internships, you’ll develop the empathy and effective work ethic only hands-on experience can provide.
Graduate Admission Requirements
Learn more about graduate admission standards and application requirements on our Requirements page.
Program Admission Requirements
- One additional electronic recommendation (total of three)
- Valid GRE or MAT test score if Graduate Admission GPA evaluation is less than a 3.0
Graduate Program Requirements
Graduate Core Credits - 6 hrs.
- ENC 604: Research Methodology and Applications - 3 hrs.
- ENC 606: Interpersonal Behavior and Organizational Leadership - 3 hrs.
Program Core - 45 hrs.
- ENC 530: Loss and Grief Counseling - 1 hr.
- ENC 540: Human Growth and Development - 3 hrs.
- ENC 551: Substance Abuse Counseling - 2 hrs.
- ENC 586: Counseling Diverse Populations - 3 hrs.
- ENC 620: Introduction to Counseling: Professional Orientation - 2 hrs.
- ENC 621: Career and Life Planning Across Lifespan - 3 hrs.
- ENC 622: Counseling: Ethics and the Law - 1 hr.
- ENC 623: Pre-Practicum in Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 624: Theories and Techniques of Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 625: Principles of Group Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 630: Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Disorders - 3 hrs.
- ENC 631: Crisis Intervention Counseling - 1 hr.
- ENC 632: Psychopharmacology - 1 hr.
- ENC 640: Supervision - 2 hrs.
- ENC 641: Assessment in Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 654: Consultation in Helping Professions - 2 hrs.
- ENC 661: Couples and Family Counseling - 3 hrs.
- ENC 690: Fall Practicum - 2 hrs.
- ENC 691: Internship I in School Counseling - 1 hr.
- ENC 692: Internship II in School Counseling- 3 hrs
Professional School Counseling Specialty Area Course Work - 9 hrs. teachers; 10 hrs. non-teachers
- ENC 653: Professional School Counseling K-8 - 3 hrs.
- ENC 655: Professional School Counseling in Secondary Schools - 3 hrs.
- Electives - 3 hrs.
Required Electives for Non-teachers - 4 hrs.
- ENC 585: Understanding Schools: A Primer for Non-Teachers - 2 hrs.
- ENC 669: Special Education Law - 2 hrs.