Coronavirus Information: Bradley plans to resume on-campus classes in fall, summer classes will be online. More Information »


Teacher Education

If you plan to teach in public schools, you'll need to obtain a license.

All education candidates must take and pass all required Illinois State Board of Education tests.

Post-bachelor seeking students who are pursuing licensure must also complete the same program requirements. To apply, please create an account in Admissions. You will apply for a second undergraduate degree, and then have your official college transcripts sent to Bradley. Depending on the licensure area, you may not need to pursue an undergraduate degree but only take the required teacher education coursework. Once you have been admitted and your coursework evaluated, the Teacher Education department will advise you which direction is best to become a licensed teacher. If you have any questions with the application process, please contact the Admissions Office at (309) 677-1000 or email If you are needing coursework to fulfill an endorsement, you will apply in the Graduate School as a non-degree seeking student. For questions, please call (309) 677-2375 or email

To see how our candidates are performing, please see Candidate Performance Data.

Our programs specifically address the standards set forth in the State of Illinois Professional Teaching Standards and those specified in the NCATE/CAEP standards. This alignment of coursework, projects, assignments and experiences ensures that students are well prepared to obtain certification and licensure.


In accordance with the National Board for Certified Counselors, Inc., students will be allowed to sit for the National Counselor Examination for Licensure and Certification (NCE) during the scheduled testing date in spring semester during internship.

Licensed School Counselor - Illinois

To be a licensed school counselor in the state of Illinois, students must meet all program and Illinois State Board of Education requirements, to include passing the Illinois Licensure Testing System (ILTS) School Counselor content test. Follow the instructions on the Procedure for State Professional Teaching License Application Process in the Program Attachment Section of the Student Handbook. The ILTS School Counselor Test (#181) must be passed to complete the licensure process. Registration, dates, study guides and test frameworks for both of these tests may be found at Illinois Licensure Testing System.

(See additional certification information.)

School Counseling Licensure for another state

Students who reside outside of Illinois must check with the department website for credentialing information in either Professional School Counseling or Clinical Mental Health Counseling to learn about specific requirements for professional practice, as well as any applicable reciprocity rules. Variations in requirements may occur either in the student’s state of residence or in the state where the student may plan to practice professional counseling relative to his or her area of specialization. Bradley University is a SARA-approved institution (SARA=State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements).