As a business analytics major, you’ll combine quantitative methods and analytics tools to explore and analyze data in a variety of business disciplines.
The business analytics major differs from the MIS concentration in business analytics. The major has a deeper focus on quantitative methods across an array of fields such as the decision sciences and economics. It also offers you the opportunity to explore data science by developing programming languages for analytics and exploring its fundamentals.
Preparing You For Success
When studying business analytics, you’ll gain the necessary techniques to turn complex data into solutions that drive business decisions for a wide range of industries. You’ll get hands-on experience managing data and converting it into actionable information used to recommend operational and strategic actions. Business analytics is a multi‐faceted field that has evolved because of technologies that create and collect large amounts of data. Organizations have become much more data-driven, and this major teaches you how to leverage this vital resource.
By the time you graduate, your experiences may include:
- Professional development and networking through the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP)
- Internships in a variety of industries located throughout the United States
- Hands-on experience with business analytics software such as SAS Analytics, RapidMiner and Tableau
- Skill development in important scripting languages used in analytics such as SQL and Python
Making Your Mark
Business analytics majors are in demand for some of the nation’s fastest-growing careers; you’ll be prepared for a variety of data analytics positions within a plethora of organizations. Typical graduates’ first jobs include business analysts, database analysts, data analysts or data architects. Graduates of the program can expect exciting and challenging job opportunities in a dynamic field.
Required Courses - 27 hrs.
- CS 141 : Introduction to Python - 3 hrs.
- MIS 272: Business Analytics Software and Applications I - 3 hrs.
- ECO 319: Econometrics - 3 hrs.
- QM 364: Decision Support Systems - 3 hrs.
- MIS 374: Database Management and Administration - 2 hrs.
- MIS 471: Business Software and Applications II - 3 hrs.
- MIS 473: Business Software and Applications III - 3 hrs.
- MIS 490: Capstone for Business Analytics - 3 hrs.
Choose One Course of the Following - 3 hrs.
- ML 356: Human Capital in Organizations - 3 hrs.
- QM 326: Business Forecasting - 3 hrs.
- CS 360: Fndamentals of Data Science - 3 hrs.
Sample program plan information is provided for sample purposes only. Students should consult with their academic advisor about their individual plan for course registration and completion of program requirements.
|First-Year - Fall Semester|
|MTH 114||Finite Math||3 hours|
|ATG 157||ATG Principles ‐ Financial||3 hours|
|COM 103||Speech||3 hours|
|BUS 100||Contemporary Business||3 hours|
|BCC||Core Course||3 hours|
|EHS 120||University Experience||1 hour|
|First-Year - Spring Semester|
|MIS 173||Introduction to Bus Analytics||3 hours|
|ATG 158||ATG Principles ‐ Managerial||3 hours|
|ENG 101||English Composition||3 hours|
|BCC||Core Course||6 hours|
|Sophomore - Fall Semester|
|MIS 272||BA Software and Applications I||3 hours|
|Q M 262||Quantitative Analysis I||3 hours|
|ECO 222||Macroeconomics||3 hours|
|IB 206||International Business||3 hours|
|BUS 220||Career Planning||1 hour|
|Sophomore - Spring Semester|
|MIS 374||Database Mgmt and Admin||3 hours|
|Q M 263||Quantitative Analysis II||3 hours|
|MTG 315||Principles of Marketing||3 hours|
|ECO 221||Microeconomics||3 hours|
|Junior - Fall Semester|
|C2 ‐ ENG 306||Business Communication||3 hours|
|CS 141||Intro. to Python Programming||3 hours|
|FIN 322||Business Finance||3 hours|
|M L 250||Interpersonal Effectiveness||2 hours|
|M L 350||Managing for Results in Orgs.||2 hours|
|Junior - Spring Semester|
|MIS 473||Data Visualization for Business||3 hours|
|ECO 319||Econometrics||3 hours|
|BLW 342||Legal Environment of Bus.||6 hours|
|Senior - Fall Semester|
|MIS 471||BA Software and Applications II||3 hours|
|QM 364||Decision Support Systems||3 hours|
|Senior - Spring Semester|
|MIS 490||Business Analytics Capstone||3 hours|
|QM L 452||Strategic Mgmt in Orgs.||2 hours|
|BUS 400||Bus Capstone Consulting (WI)||2 hours|