The Business Law minor provides students with understanding of some of the social, ethical, political and cultural foundations of law and how law impacts almost every business decision. Students will obtain critical analytical skills needed in their careers and/or to excel in law school and will become better prepared to identify and manage potential legal problems in the practice of their profession or career.
The Business Law minor is open to all majors and students whose major is from the Foster College of Business must have at least 12 hours in courses that are unique from those used to fulfill their major requirements.
I. Social, Ethical, Political and Cultural Foundations of Law - 3 hrs.
- AAS 200 Introduction to African-American Studies - 3 hrs.
- ECO 310 Labor Problems - 3 hrs.
- ECO 362 Economics and Law - 3 hrs.
- HIS 300 The United States Since 1945 - 3 hrs.
- HIS 304 Women in American History - 3 hrs.
- HIS 307 Early American Republic - 3 hrs.
- HIS 315 U.S. Social Movements - 3 hrs.
- HIS 316 African-American History Since 1877 - 3 hrs.
- PHL 203 Logic - 3 hrs.
- PHL 347 Ethics - 3 hrs.
- PLS 105 Introduction to American Government - 3 hrs.
- PLW 101 Introduction to the Legal Profession - 3 hrs.
- SOC 212 Sociology of Diversity - 3 hrs.
- WGS 200 Introduction to Women’s Studies - 3 hrs.
II. Business Law Foundations - 3 hrs.
- BLW 342 Legal Environment of Business - 3 hrs.
III. Business Law Applications - 9 hrs.
A. Choose at least 6 hours up to a maximum of 9 hours from the following:
- BLW 289 Topics in Business Law - 1-3 hrs.
- BLW 345 Law of Business - 3 hrs.
- BLW 347 Law and the Entrepreneur - 3 hrs.
- BLW 355 Labor-Management Relations - 3 hrs.
- BLW 389 Topics in Business Law - 1-3 hrs.
- BLW 395 Real Estate Law - 3 hrs.
- BLW 446 Employment Law - 3 hrs.
- BLW 360 Business & Intellectual Property - 3 hrs.
- BLW 489 Topics in Business Law - 1-3 hrs.
- BLW 498 Independent Studies - 1-3 hrs.
B. Students who have at least 6 hours and less than 9 hours from category A may take the remaining hours from the following:
- ATG 477 Federal Taxes - 3 hrs.
- ATG 526 Fraud Examination - 3 hrs.
- CIS 580 Digital Society and Computer Law - 3 hrs.
- COM 330 Communication Law and Ethics - 3 hrs.
- CON 380 Construction Contracts - 2 hrs.
- CON 394 Construction Labor and Unions - 3 hrs.
- I M 350 Intellectual Property Law and New Media - 3 hrs.
- NUR 510 Legal Issues in Nursing - 2 hrs.
- PLS 459 Constitutional Law - 3 hrs.
- PLS 460 Constitutional Law - 3 hrs.
- PLW 300 Pre-Law Internship - 1-6 hrs.