The Department of Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS) at Bradley University is pleased to announce that two FCS incoming freshmen are awarded Arnold/Wheeler scholarships in the fall semester, an annual scholarship of $4,000. Each awardee becomes either a C. C. Wheeler Scholar or a Mildred Arnold Scholar, termed Arnold/Wheeler or A/W Scholar. Cecilia Chesko Wheeler was a 1942 alumna of Bradley University and was committed to empowering women and families. Mildred Arnold is a 1932 alumna of Bradley University and wanted the discipline of FCS to continue through scholarly activity. Each scholarship award may be renewed annually for up to four years, provided the student maintains a minimum GPA of 3.00 and completes the scholarship requirements each semester.
First-year and sophomore scholars get to develop research ideas one-on-one with a faculty mentor and complete the initial steps of the scientific research process. As a junior and senior, you will get to conduct the project you designed with your faculty mentor. You will get to present your findings at the annual Bradley Student Scholarship EXPO, submit your project to be published in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal, and may even get to present your work at a national conference with professionals in the field.
In addition to regular contact with their faculty mentors, all scholars benefit from regular monthly research meetings with all FCS faculty and student researchers.
Mildred Arnold '32
Cecelia Wheeler '42
A/W Scholarship Application Packet Checklist
Please include the following in your application packet
- a letter of intent containing
- your reasons for choosing Bradley FCS and intended major
- summary of an exemplary project OR sample of an academic paper
- brief description of research experience or research interests you have
- discussion of your strengths as a student
- example of one of your weaknesses and how you address it
- a resume which includes
- your name, phone number, address, email address, GPA and ACT/SAT scores
- a list of leadership positions and/or extracurricular activities during high school
- one letter of recommendation addressing potential for independent scholarly work
- an official copy of your high school transcript
The application deadline is February 11, 2022.
Your application packet containing the items above must be emailed to email@example.com OR postmarked by the deadline and mailed to:
1501 W. Bradley Ave. – WES 204
Peoria, IL 61625
On-campus interviews for scholarship finalists are tentatively scheduled for March 5, 2022.