Caterpillar Professor and Department Chair
Business and Engineering Convergence Center 4236
Ph.D., Major Industrial Engineering/Minor Electrical Engineering, Auburn University
M.S., Industrial Engineering and Manufacturing Engineering, Auburn University
B.S., Industrial Engineering, Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan
If you wish please download a copy of my profile.
Honors and Awards:
- Samuel Rothberg Professional Excellence Award (recipient), Bradley University, 2018
- Caterpillar Inc. Professorship (recipient), Bradley University, 2016
- Best Paper finalist, Manufacturing Division, American Society of Engineering Education, June 2010.
- Superior Engineering Teaching Award (recipient), College of Engineering, Iowa State University, 2009.
- Best Paper award, recipient, Manufacturing Division, American Society of Engineering Education, June 2008.
- Year of Merit, recipient, 2007, Society of Manufacturing Engineering (SME)
- Early Achievement in Research Award (recipient), Iowa State University, 2000.
- Early Achievement in Teaching Award (recipient), Iowa State University, 1998.
- Lean Manufacturing
- Six Sigma
- Facility Planning
- Automated Manufacturing Processes
- Quality Function Deployment
- Taguchi Parameter/Tolerance Design
- Metrology and Instrumentation
- Design for Manufacturability
- Process design and planning
- Manufacturing Economics
- Dr. Chen has two major areas of research: (1) adaptive control systems for automated machines; (2) Curriculum development to enhance education of lean manufacturing system design and methodologies at ISU.
- Dr. Chen is developing adaptive control systems for vertical machine centers and turning centers to detect defects (such as tool wear, tool breakage, and poor surface finishing) while the machining process is taking place and provide recommended correction approaches to prevent defects in a real time, on-line fashion.
- The injection molding products market is growing, and Dr. Chen is also developing on-line defect prevention systems for injection molding machines to detect flash that is caused by mixed-materials or mold-closing gap problems in order to meet industry needs. These systems will be enlarged to be able to detect other injection molding quality characteristics, such as weld-line, etc.
- Curriculum development to engage students in reflecting industrial needs in the areas of design for manufacturability, lean manufacturing methodologies, facilities planning, Taguchi parameter design, six sigma are also part of Dr. Chen’s scholarship in teaching activities. Development of a virtual factory to deliver such concepts to students is Dr. Chen’s vision in teaching manufacturing.
- Vineeth G. Kuriakose, Joseph C. Chen, Ye Li, (November 2018) “Taguchi-Based Surface Roughness Optimization for Slotted and Tapered Cylindrical Products in Milling and Turning Operations” , International Journal of Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, Vol:12, No:11, 2018, pp 1057-1065
- Guo, G., Chen, J.C., and Gong, G., (2018) “Injection Molding of Polypropylene Hybrid Composites Reinforced with Carbon Fiber and Wood Fiber”, Polymer Composites, Vol. 39, No. 9, 3329-3335, (DOI:10.1002/pc.24350).
- Chou, S. and Chen, J.C. (October 2017) “Taguchi-Based Six Sigma Approach to Optimize Surface Roughness for Milling Processes,” International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering, Vol: 11, No: 10, 2017, pp 1593 - 1598.
- Gong, G., Chen, J.C., and Guo, G., (2017) “Enhancing Tensile Strength of Injection Molded Fiber Reinforced Composites Using the Taguchi-based Six Sigma Approach”, The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 91, No. 9, 3385-3393.
- Alblawi T., Chen J.C., and Li Y., (2016) Development of a Taguchi-based framework for optimizing two quality characteristics in Wire-EDM operations, Int. Journal of Engineering Research and Applications, Vol. 6, Issue 1, (Part - 6) January 2016, pp.35-49
- Chen, J.C. and Liang Y. (2015) Development of fuzzy logic-based statistical process control chart pattern recognition system, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. Vol 86, Issue 1, pp 1011-1026.
- Chen, J.C. and Abhilash, R. (April 2014) Optimization of Green Sand Casting Process Using Six Sigma DMAIC Approach, Journal of Enterprise Transformation, Vol. 4, Issue 2, pp. 172-188.
- Chen, J.C. and Chen, K. (Feb. 2014) ORFPM system for lean implementation: an industrial case study, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. Vol 72, pp 839-852.
- Liang, Y and Chen, J.C. (2013) Development of a Robust Supply Chain Total-Cost Model Integrating Currency Uncertainty and Quality Variations, International Journal of Engineering Research and Innovation, Vol 5, No #1, pp 5-14.
- Li, Y., Surisetti, N.P., Chen, J.C. (Feb. 2013) Measuring external profiles of porous objects using CMM, International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology. Volume 64, Issue 5-8, pp 875-887.
- Chen, J.C., Y Li, B Shady, (2012) Development of a Leanness Monitoring System via RFID: An Industrial Case Study, International Journal of Manufacturing Technology and Management, Vol 26. No. 1/2/3/4, pp 1-20.
- Chen, J.C. and T.J. Collins (2012) Creation of a RFID Based Real Time Tracking (R-RTT) system for small healthcare clinics, Journal of Medical Systems, Published on line, DOI Vol 36(6), pp 3851-3860.
- Chen, J.C. and Cox, R. (2012) Value Stream Management for Lean Office—A Case Study, American Journal of Industrial and Business Management, Vol. 2, pp 17-29.
- Chen, K., Chen, J.C. and Cox, R. (2012) Real Time Facility Performance Monitoring System Using RFID Technology, Assembly Automation, Vol. 32 No. 2, pp 185-196.
- Muhammad, M., Chen, J.C., and Mufti, N.A. (2011), Investigation of Rake Angle Effect for Minimization of Surface Roughness in Internal Turning, International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 121-127.
- Chen, J.C. and Kirby, D. (2010) Comparing classical DOE and Taguchi parameter design in a learning environment, Journal of Engineering Technology, 27 No2, pp 42-52.
- Chen J.C., Li Y., and Shady B. (2010) From Value Stream Mapping Toward a Lean/Sigma Continuous Improvement Process: an Industrial Case Study. International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 48, issue 4, pp 1069-1086.