Jobst Hall 315
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California at Berkeley
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California at Berkeley
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Dr. Timpe joined the faculty of the Department of Mechanical Engineering in 2011. His research interests include microelectromechanical systems, tribology, and multiscale biosensors. He teaches core courses in the area of mechanical systems as well as advanced and graduate level courses in surface science and microelectronics.
- The Dow Chemical Company – Senior Research and Development Engineer
- Spatial Photonics – Microelectromechanical Systems Engineer
- Sandia National Laboratories – Graduate Student Intern
- Microelectromechanical Systems (MEMS)
- Surface Science and Tribology
- Mechanical Behavior of Engineering Materials
- Electronic Materials
- ME 303: Instrumentation and Measurement
- ME 341: Engineering Systems Dynamics
- ME 351: Engineering Materials Science
- ME 591: Special Topics - Introduction to Microelectromechanical Systems
- ME 591: Special Topics - Tribology and Surface Science
- ME 591: Special Topics - Microfabrication
- ME 591: Special Topics - Advanced Engineering Systems Dynamics
Current Research Projects:
- Multiscale Biosensors for Natural Product Drug Discovery
- Phenomena Shifts in Scale Transitions from Micro- to Nanotribology
- Interfacial Fusion at Microelectromechanical Systems Contacts
- Degradation of Tribological Coating in Microelectromechanical Systems
- Investigation of Performance Characteristics for Materials Used to Injection Mold Plastic Gears
- K. P. Glick, S. J. Timpe, "Static and Dynamic Surface Degradation of Electrically Activated Microsystem Contacts," 23nd Annual Argonne Symposium for Undergraduates in Science, Engineering & Mathematics, Argonne, Illinois, USA, 1 November 2013.
- S. J. Timpe, T.-C. Kuo, "Surface Property Development in Polymeric Coating Systems," Tribology Letters, vol. 52, pp. 105-112 (2013).
- S. B. Thourson, C. A. Marsh, B. J. Doyle, S. J. Timpe, "Quartz Crystal Microbalance Study of Bovine Serum Albumin Adsorption onto Self-Assembled Monolayer-Functionalized Gold with Subsequent Ligand Binding," Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, vol. 111, pp. 707-712 (2013).
- A. L. Macuk, S. J. Timpe, "Effect of Galvanic Corrosion-Induced Roughness on Sidewall Adhesion in Polycrystalline Silicon Microelectromechanical Systems," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 22, pp. 259-261 (2013).
- V. Kalihari, S. J. Timpe, L. McCarty, M. Ninke, J. Whitehead, "An Automated High Throughput Tribometer for Adhesion, Wear, and Friction Measurements," Review of Scientific Instruments, vol. 84, art. no. 035104 (2013).
- M. M. Bunten, S. J. Timpe, “Effect of velocity and load on the development of kinetic friction at a lubricated steel on polymer interface,” 2012 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Houston, Texas, USA, 9-15 November 2012.
- C. M. Douglas, S. J. Timpe, “Electromechanical modeling of microscale biosensors operating in viscous media,” 22nd Annual Argonne Symposium for Undergraduates in Science, Engineering & Mathematics, Argonne, Illinois, USA, 26 October 2012.
- S. N. Swahlstedt, S. J. Timpe, “Dynamic resonant behavior in microcantilever beams in fluids of various viscosities,” 22nd Annual Argonne Symposium for Undergraduates in Science, Engineering & Mathematics, Argonne, Illinois, USA, 26 October 2012.
- College of Engineering and Technology Scientific Literature Library Excursion Organizer
- Founding Member of the Nanoscale Science and Technology Research and Discussion Group
- Member Mechanical Engineering Graduate Course Task Group