Affiliate Instructor of Chinese
M.L.S., Library and Information Science, University of Oklahoma
M.A., Political Science/International Affairs, University of Central Oklahoma
Diploma of Graduate Study, Applied Linguistics, Nanjing University (China)
B.A., English, Nanjing University (China)
Xiaotian Chen is a full-time librarian and also teaches Chinese at Bradley.
MWF 10:00 – 4:00
T TH 7:30AM – 4:00, and by appt.
WLC 101 01 MWF 9:00 - 9:50 BRD 142
Ranked #14 in "Top 20 Librarian Authors Worldwide" by the journal Scientometrics http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11192-014-1519-9
Featured in the Chronicle of Higher Education story "Once-Trustworthy Newspaper Databases Have Become Unreliable and Frustrating", Jan 25, 2002.
Interviewed by Inside Higher Ed on President Obama's Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor's New Your Times v. Tasini district court ruling. Inside Higher Ed article "No Stranger to Higher Ed" quoted his comments, May 2009.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Liu, X. & Chen, X. (2019). CJK Languages or English: Languages Used by Academic Journals in China, Japan, and Korea. Journal of Scholarly Publishing. 50(3). 201-214.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2018). Calling Out Fake News on Social Media: A Comparison of Literature in Librarianship and Journalism. Internet Reference Services Quarterly. 23(1).
- Liu, X. & Chen, X. (2018). Journal Retractions: Some Unique Features of Research Misconduct in China. Journal of Scholarly Publishing. 49(3). 305-319.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2016). A Middle -of-the-Road Proposal amid the Sci-Hub Controversy: Share "Unofficial" Copies of Articles without Embargo, Legally. Publications. 4(4). 29-33.
- Chen, Xiaotian & Olijhoek, Tom. (2016). Measuring the Degrees of Openness of Scholarly Journals with the Open Access Spectrum (OAS) Evaluation Tool. Serials Review. 42(2), 108-115.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2015). Questionable University-sponsored Supplements in High-impact Journals. Scientometrics. 105(3). 1985-1995.
- Renaville, F., Branse, Y., Chen, X., & Needleman, M. (2015). SFX Miscellaneous Free E-journals Target: Usage Survey among the SFX Community. Serials Review. 42(2), 58-68.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2014). Open Access in 2013: Reaching the 50% Milestone. Serials Review. 40 (1): 21-27.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2013). Journal Articles Retrieval in an Age of Open Access. The Journal of Web Librarianship. 7 (3): 1-12.
- Chen, Xiaotian and O'Kelly, Kevin. (2013). Taking Issues Column: Cross-Examining Google Scholar. Reference and User Services Quarterly. 52 (4): 279-282.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2012). Broken-Link Reports from SFX Users: How Publishers, Vendors and Libraries Can Do Better. Serials Review. 38 (4): 222–227.
- Chen, Xiaotian. Google Books Assessments: Comparing Google Books Content with WorldCat Content. To be published in Online Information Review.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2010). Google Scholar’s Dramatic Coverage Improvement Five Years after Debut. Serials Review. 36 (4), 221-226.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2010). The Declining Value of Subscription-Based Abstracting and Indexing Services in the New Knowledge Dissemination Era. Serials Review. 36 (2), 79-85.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2010). Blog Archiving Issues: A Look at Blogs on Major Events and Popular Blogs. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 15 (1), 21-33.
- Chen, Xiaotian and Wynn, Stephen. (2009). E-Journal Cataloging in an Age of Alternatives. Serials Librarian, 57 (1/2), 96-110.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2007). Web-Exclusive Articles in Traditionally Print Periodicals. Serials Review, 33(4), 224-230.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2006). Overlap between Traditional Periodical Indexes and Newer Mega Indexes. Serials Review, 32(4), 233-237.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2006). MetaLib, WebFeat, and Google: The Strengths and Weaknesses of Federated Search Engines Compared with Google. Online Information Review, 30(4), 413-427.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2005). Figures and Tables Omitted from Online Periodical Articles: A Comparison of Vendors and Information Missing from Full-text Databases. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 10(2), 75-88.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2004). Assessment of Full-Text Sources Used by Serials Management Systems, OpenURL Link Resolvers, and Imported E-journal MARC Records. Online Information Review, 28 (6), 428-434.
- Chen, X, Colgan, L, Greene, C, Lowe, E and Winke, C. (2004). E-resource Cataloging Practices: A Survey of Academic Libraries and Consortia. Serials Librarian, 47 (1/2), 153-179.
- Chen, Xiaotian. (2002). Embargo, Tasini, and Opted Out: How Many Periodical Articles are Missing from Full-Text Databases. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 7(4), 23-34.
Editorial Board, Internet Reference Services Quarterly, a peer-reviewed journal by Taylor & Francis.
Editorial Board, Publications (ISSN 2304-6775), a peer-reviewed journal by MDPI.
Editor, Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ).
Translation editor, China Knowledge Resource Integrated Database (CNKI).