Students who place in a language at the 102 level or higher and take a course in the same language in the World Languages and Cultures Department at Bradley University can receive retroactive credit (“retrocredits”). Upon successfully completing a course, students will need to complete the Retroactive Credit form (found at the bottom of this page), obtain signatures, pay a fee, and submit to the Registrar's Office.
In order to receive retrocredits:
- The course must be the first college-level course in the language.
- The course must be taken before the student has earned 60 credit hours.
- The course must be designated as retrocredit eligible.
- The student must receive a “B” or higher in the course.
Upon successful completion of an approved course, students will receive:
- 102 = 4 retrocredits (101)
- 201 = 8 retrocredits (101, 102)
- 202 = 12 retrocredits (101, 102, 201)
- 222 (WLS only) = 12 retrocredits (101, 102, 201)
- 303 = 15 retrocredits (101, 102, 201, 202)
- 304 = 15 retrocredits (101, 102, 201, 202)
- 306 (WLF and WLG only) = 15 retrocredits (101, 102, 201, 202)
- 308 (WLF only) = 15 retrocredits (101, 102, 201, 202)
Conditions for receiving retroactive credit:
- Grades will not be given for retroactive credit nor will they figure in a student’s GPA.
- Retroactive credit will not count towards residency.
- Retroactive credit will count towards the 120 credits necessary for graduation.
- Retroactive credit received for 202 will not count for GP in the Bradley Core Curriculum.
- Native speakers cannot earn retroactive credit in their native language (as determined by WLC faculty).
- In order for a student with AP or IB credit to receive retroactive credit, the student would need to take an appropriate language course at Bradley. Students cannot receive additional retroactive credit for a course for which they already received AP or IB credit.
- Students could earn retroactive credit in more than one language as long as they have not earned more than 60 credit hours at the time the course will be taken.
- Note: The Department of World Languages cannot guarantee that retroactive-credit-eligible classes will be offered at all levels in every language every semester.
- Upon successfully completing a course and receiving a grade of A or B, students will need to complete the retroactive credit form available below.
- Complete sections 1, 2, and 3 of the fillable form and print out.
- Submit to the WLC office for approval and signature.
- Submit to the LAS Dean's office for approval and signature.
- Submit to Financial Services - Cashier Window for payment.
- Submit to Registrar's office for posting credit to your record.
Remote Learning Students
Complete sections 1, 2, and 3 of the fillable form and email to email@example.com in the World Languages and Cultures Department for approval and signature.
- WLC office will email form to the LAS Dean's office for approval and signature.
- LAS Dean's office will email form back to student.
- Student will mail form and payment to:
Financial Services - Cashier
Swords Hall – Room 100
Peoria, IL 61625
- Financial Services will send to Registrar's Office for credits to be posted to the student record.