Chair, Department of Physical Therapy and Health Science
The Doctor of Physical Therapy Program at Bradley University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: www.capteonline.org.
The mission of the Department of Physical Therapy and Health Science is to develop versatile individuals in a student-centered and collaborative environment that prepares our graduates to lead, educate, advocate and serve in a dynamic health care environment.
The Department of Physical Therapy and Health Science will strive to build a balanced environment of teaching, research, service, and practice, which will prepare students to live and work productively in a diverse and ever-changing society.
Doctor Of Physical Therapy
In addition to meeting admission requirements for the Graduate School, requirements for entry into the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program include the following:
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree with a Health Science major from Bradley University with a “C” or higher in all required courses OR
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree with the following courses completed with a “C” or higher:
- Chemistry - 1 year chemistry sequence for science majors (eg. 6-8 semester hours) with laboratory experience
- Physics - 1 year physics sequence for science majors (eg. 6-8 semester hours) with laboratory experience
- Biology/Zoology - 6-8 semester hours with content that includes an introduction to cell biology, biochemistry, and genetics
- Anatomy - 3-4 semester hours of vertebrate, mammalian, human, or comparative anatomy that includes a laboratory experience
- Physiology - 3-4 semester hours of vertebrate, mammalian, or human physiology (a two-semester sequence of combined anatomy and physiology will meet the anatomy and physiology requirement)
- Statistics - 3 semester hours of statistics
The following courses are highly recommended:
- Kinesiology, biomechanics, or additional courses in human anatomy
- Exercise physiology, pathophysiology, or additional courses in physiology
- Upper division psychology and sociology courses
- Medical Terminology
In addition, an applicant should have:
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average in all mathematics and science courses taken.
- Minimum 3.0 grade point average for all courses taken.
- GRE verbal and quantitative minimum total of 1000.
- TOEFL score of 600 or higher, TSE of 50 or higher, and TWE of 4.5 or higher for non-native English speaking applicants.
- Skills in computer literacy, communication (written and verbal), medical terminology, and teaching.
Along with the application, students are expected to submit:
- An essay to articulate the applicant’s perception of the physical therapy profession and examples of professional conduct.
- Expanded résumé of education, activities, and work experiences.
In addition to the University’s student health form requirement, and prior to enrollment in the first full-time physical therapy course that includes a clinical experience, each student must verify:
- professional liability insurance (renewable annually)
- immunity to rubeola (measles) by one of the following: - a rubeola (measles) immunization received in 1990 or later, or - written verification from a physician of having had the disease, or - birth date prior to 1957
- immunity to rubella (German measles) by one of the following: - written verification of having had the immunization, or - written verification rubella titer greater than 1:10
- written verification of immunity to Hepatitis B virus
- written verification of tuberculin test results (renewable annually)
- CPR certification (renewable annually)
Contact the Department for the most current requirements
Admission is competitive for a limited number of spaces in the class.
Course Of Study
- PT 612 Functional Anatomy I (Five Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 614 Gross Anatomy I (Five Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 616 Research I (Five Weeks) 1 hr.
- PT 622 Functional Anatomy II (Five Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 624 Gross Anatomy II (Five Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 630 Foundations of Physical Therapy 4 hrs.
- PT 636 Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy I 4 hrs.
- PT 640 Clinical Science I 3 hrs.
- PT 646 Research II 2 hrs.
January Interim I
- PT 650 Clinical Education I 3 hrs.
- PT 662 Neurological Physical Therapy I 4 hrs.
- PT 666 Research III 3 hrs.
- PT 670 Human Development Throughout the Lifespan 3 hrs.
- PT 680 Clinical Science II 2 hrs.
- PT 700 Musculoskeletal Physical Therapy II (8 Weeks) 4 hrs.
- PT 710 Clinical Education II (5 Weeks) 8 hrs.
- PT 710 Clinical Education II (Continuation - 3 Weeks)
- PT 716 Research IV (13 Weeks) 1 hr.
- PT 720 Teaching and Learning Theory in PT (13 Weeks) 3 hrs.
- PT 730 Neurological Physical Therapy II (13 Weeks) 4 hrs.
- PT 740 Clinical Science III (13 Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 750 Physical Therapy Administration and Management 4 hrs.
- PT 766 Research V 1 hr.
- PT 770 Applied Exercise Principles 3 hrs.
- PT 780 Clinical Science IV (8 Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 790 Cardiovascular/Pulmonary/Integumentary Physical Therapy (8 Weeks) 2 hrs.
- PT 800 Clinical Education III (8 Weeks) 8 hrs.
- PT 810 Health and Wellness 3 hrs.
- PT 820 Professional Issues in Physical Therapy 3 hrs.
- PT 830 Physical Therapy Differential Diagnosis 4 hrs.
- PT 840 Independent Study (Optional) 1-6 hrs.
- PT 850 Clinical Education IV (8 Weeks) 8 hrs.
- PT 860 Clinical Education V (8 Weeks) 8 hrs.
- PT 760 Independent Study (1-6 hrs.)
Total required: 105 hrs.
This is the official catalog for the 2015-2016 academic year. This catalog serves as a contract between a student and Bradley University. Should changes in a program of study become necessary prior to the next academic year every effort will be made to keep students advised of any such changes via the Dean of the College or Chair of the Department concerned, the Registrar's Office, u.Achieve degree audit system, and the Schedule of Classes. It is the responsibility of each student to be aware of the current program and graduation requirements for particular degree programs.