General Admission Information


Applications for graduate study are welcome from any student who holds a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or the international equivalent, and to certain qualified Bradley University seniors (see Categories of Admission below). 

Categories of Admission

  1. Unconditional. This classification denotes a graduate student who is admitted to a degree program. At the undergraduate level the student must have achieved a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate coursework. Applicants with previous graduate coursework must have achieved a 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in all graduate coursework and have completed a minimum of 12 graduate credit hours for the graduate grade point average to be considered for admission. Admission is competitive and based on an applicant’s entire portfolio (see “Admission Requirements”). Achieving the minimum required grade point average does not guarantee admission to a program.
  2. Conditional. This status may be given if the student’s last 60-hour grade point average is below a 3.0 and above a 2.5 on a 4.0 scale. It may also be given if the student’s scores on standardized tests fall below the requirement in the discipline; if the student does not have sufficient undergraduate preparation; or in fine arts performance areas, if, in the judgment of the faculty, the quality of work is not totally acceptable. If undergraduate deficiencies are a cause of conditional admission, the faculty in the discipline shall specify the additional coursework prerequisites and/or a standard of achievement in prescribed coursework which will remove the deficiencies.

    • Students admitted in conditional status must fulfill the conditions of their admission as individually specified. Once the student has met these conditions, the Removal of Conditional Status form must be completed and filed in the Graduate School. Graduate students cannot be removed from conditional admission status until the end of an official university semester. No changes in status or financial assistance will be made until the end of the semester and will not be effective until the following semester.
    • Students granted conditional admission are not eligible for financial assistance.
  3. Non-degree-seeking Graduate Student. This admission status is for a student who has a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, wishes to register for graduate or undergraduate courses, and is not currently seeking a graduate degree from Bradley University. The student must have achieved a 2.75 grade point average on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework. In rare cases, exceptions to the grade point average requirement may be made for non-degree-seeking graduate students with the consent of the Dean of the Graduate School. Non-degree-seeking graduate students do not qualify for scholarships or assistantships.

    • At the time of application, a non-degree-seeking graduate student must provide an Application for Graduate Admission, application fee, and official transcripts. Students who have met the prerequisites may enroll in most graduate courses. Students who enroll in courses for which they are not qualified may be dropped from the course.
    • Admission as a non-degree-seeking graduate student does not constitute admission to a degree program. Should the student wish to apply to a degree program, all requirements for admission to that program must be met. A maximum of 9 semester hours with grades of B or better earned as a non-degree-seeking graduate student may be applied to a degree or certificate program, with approval of the program’s graduate coordinator.
  4. Bradley Seniors Taking Courses for Graduate Credit. Bradley seniors who are within 6 semester hours of graduation, or who are registering for the semester during which they will complete their bachelor’s degree requirements, may register for graduate courses for graduate credit provided they also have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or greater. They must also have the approval of: 1) their undergraduate advisor, 2) the instructor of the course who determines if the course is appropriate for graduate credit, and 3) the graduate program director/coordinator if the course is part of a graduate program, or the department chairperson if the department does not house a graduate program. The senior may not take more than 9 semester hours of courses for graduate credit while registering as a senior. These hours will not be counted toward the baccalaureate degree. The student must secure the approval signatures on the form, Application for Graduate Credit for a Senior, and file it with the Registrar. Forms may be obtained from the Registrar’s Office and the Graduate School. 

Former Students

Students who have received an undergraduate or graduate degree from Bradley must reapply for admission if they wish to register for additional coursework. 

Admission Requirements

Before being considered for admission, degree-seeking students must submit the following materials. Some departments have additional requirements. Be certain to check individual programs for admission requirements. Please note: all forms are available in the Graduate School or on the web at

  1. Application Form. All applicants must submit an Application for Graduate Admission, signed and dated by the applicant. Applicants may also complete and submit the application form online.
  2. Application Fee. All applicants must submit a non-refundable application fee, payable online, at the time of application. The fee for domestic applicants is $40 and $50 for international applicants. This fee cannot be waived or deferred. Applications submitted without an application fee will not be processed. Fees are subject to change without notice.
  3. Transcripts. Applicants are required to provide one official transcript sent directly from the Registrar’s office at the institution from which they receive their bachelor’s degree or the international equivalent. Additional transcripts may be required at the discretion of the Graduate School. Applicants should submit additional official transcripts from post-baccalaureate coursework for consideration. Applicants who have completed graduate-level coursework should submit all transcripts reflecting graduate coursework. International applicants see requirements for international students (below).
  4. Experience and Objectives. Applicants must provide a short admissions essay on each of the following topics:
    1. Explain achievements and work experience that you consider relevant to your interest in and capacity for graduate study.
    2. Briefly state your career objectives and how the graduate program you have selected will assist you in attaining these goals.
  5. Recommendations. Applicants must provide two letters of recommendation sent electronically to the Graduate School from individuals who can comment on the applicant’s potential for success in a graduate program. Certain programs may require additional recommendations.
  6. Entrance Examinations. Certain programs require entrance examinations (e.g. GRE, GMAT, MAT, portfolio, et al.) as part of the application process. Students can find these requirements within the information described by each program. Official score reports should be sent to the Graduate School if applicable.

    • Testing Information: Information about the GRE and the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) may be obtained from the Educational Testing Service, Box 955, Princeton, NJ, 08540. All current testing and registration information on GRE and TOEFL is available on the Internet at Local administration of the GRE and TOEFL is available through the Prometric Testing Center, 7501 N. University Ave., Peoria, IL, 61614, (309) 683-4653. Information about the GMAT is available on the Web at To have scores sent to the Graduate School, indicate the Bradley institutional code 1070. Information about International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is available through their Web sites, or, or British Council Offices. Additional information is also available through the Graduate School.
    • MAT information and test registration are available through the College of Education and Health Sciences, Westlake Hall 218, (309) 677-3181.
  7. Language Proficiency. All applicants to the Graduate School (degree-seeking as well as non-degree-seeking students) whose native language is not English are required to submit official evidence of language proficiency. This requirement is in effect for all applicants regardless of citizenship or immigration status. Non-native English speakers who have earned a degree from a U.S. institution or from an institution in a country where the official language is English are exempt from this requirement. Language proficiency is determined by results on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).

    • TOEFL Requirement. The minimum TOEFL requirement on the Paper Based Test (PBT) is a 550, the Computer Based Test (CBT) equivalent score of 213, or the internet-based TOEFL (iBT) equivalent score of 79. The IELTS is an acceptable substitute for TOEFL. The minimum band requirement is 6.5. A departmental program may require higher scores than the Graduate School minimum. No applicant with less than a 550 PBT (213 CBT; 79 iBT; 6.5 IELTS) will qualify for financial assistance.
    • Students who score between 61-78 TOEFL (iBT) or 5.5 IELTS and are otherwise academically eligible to be admitted to Bradley will be given consideration for conditional admission pending a successful completion of the English as a Second Language program at Illinois Central College. Successful completion is measured by scoring a 79 TOEFL/6.5 IELTS at the end of the term.
    • Additional information about TOEFL testing and registration is available through their Web sites at or and U.S. Embassies, Consulates, and advising centers throughout the world. Bradley’s institutional code for score reporting is 1070.
    • Additional information about IELTS testing and registration is available through their Web sites at or, British Council offices throughout the world, and IDP Education Australia. 

International Applicants

For admission purposes, an international applicant is not a U.S. citizen. "International," therefore, includes permanent residents, asylees, and other temporary visa holders. International students must meet the admission requirements of the Graduate School as stated above. In addition, the following are required.

  1. Transcripts. All applicants must submit official documentation of their academic records and certification of their degree(s). The names of these documents differ from country to country, but are commonly referred to as transcripts, relevé de notes, marksheets, or statements of marks. The documentation should include, semester by semester, or year by year, the courses taken, the examination results received, the grading scale or system used, and the degree and date it was awarded. If the documents are not prepared in English, an official, literal translation must accompany the original document.

    • From institutions in countries such as India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Nepal, the Graduate School accepts marksheets as official if “attested” by the registrar, controller of examinations, or other officially authorized office, when they are sent directly from the university office to the Graduate School. Alternatively, marksheets may be considered official if enclosed in an official university envelope that has been sealed, stamped, dated, and signed by an authorized university official and received by the Graduate School unopened. The Graduate School requires marksheets from all examination sessions reflecting all examinations passed, failed, and/or repeated. Consolidated marksheets and college transcripts are not accepted.
    • From institutions in China, the Graduate School requires an official Chinese transcript accompanied by an official, literal translation. In addition, the certificate of graduation and certificate of degree awarded (in Chinese, accompanied by an official translation) are required.
    • Applicants should alert the Graduate School as to how their name appears on the transcripts or marksheets if the family name is abbreviated or their name is reported in a manner different from how it appears on the application. Confusion and inconsistency in the reporting of names on documents is a common cause for delay in the processing of applications.
  2. Financial Certification. All international applicants intending to enter the U.S. on an F-1 student visa are required to present the Certificate of Eligibility Form I-20 when applying for a visa. International applicants who are not or will not be in F-1 status are not required to provide financial certification. The Graduate School will issue the Form I-20 to applicants who have been approved for admission and who provide the required financial certification documentation.

    • All applicants are required to document their ability to finance their education and living expenses for the length of time estimated to complete a master’s degree (two years). Certification requirements normally include:
      1. a notarized affidavit of support from the applicant’s sponsor (normally parents or family) indicating the intent and ability to provide at least $28,500 each year for two years.
      2. an official bank statement (signed, dated, and current) from the sponsor indicating a current account balance of at least $28,500. The bank statement should report money in the local currency, the current exchange rate, and the U.S. dollar equivalent. Bank statements should be current at the time of application or within six months of enrollment. Estimated expenses are subject to change without notice.
  3. Language Proficiency. See “Language Proficiency” under “Admission Requirements” above. 

Permanent Residents/Immigrants

Applicants who are permanent residents/immigrants must submit proof of their immigration status along with their application. Applicants may submit a copy (front and back) of their Alien Registration Card when applying for admission. Before students can register, they must present the original card to the Graduate School. (See “Language Proficiency” under “Admission Requirements” above.) 

Application or Admission Deferral

Applicants or admitted students wishing to defer their application or admission to a subsequent semester must complete a Request for Deferral of Application or Admission form and return it to the Graduate School prior to the start of the semester for which they intend to apply or are admitted. The form is available in the Graduate School or on the Web at

Applicants may defer their application or admitted students may defer their admission to the immediately following semester (excluding summer and interim sessions) without reapplying. If an applicant does not complete the application process during the following semester, the applicant must reapply by submitting a new Application for Graduate Admission form and application fee to the Graduate School. If an admitted student does not attend during the following semester after admission, the student must reapply by submitting a new Application for Graduate Admission form and application fee to the Graduate School. Additional application materials may be required at the discretion of the Graduate School and the department.

Application Deadlines

The Graduate School processes applications on a rolling, or continuous, basis for most programs. The recommended dates by which applications and supporting materials should be sent to the Graduate School are: May 15 for fall, October 15 for spring, and April 15 for summer admission. For full consideration, applicants must submit a complete application and all supporting materials no later than two weeks prior to the beginning of any term to be reviewed for admission for that term. Beyond that time the review of applications cannot be guaranteed. Because some departments have specified deadlines, be certain to check individual programs for deadline information.

This is the official catalog for the 2015-2016 academic year. This catalog serves as a contract between a student and Bradley University. Should changes in a program of study become necessary prior to the next academic year every effort will be made to keep students advised of any such changes via the Dean of the College or Chair of the Department concerned, the Registrar's Office, u.Achieve degree audit system, and the Schedule of Classes. It is the responsibility of each student to be aware of the current program and graduation requirements for particular degree programs.