Master of Arts in Nonprofit Leadership
The Nonprofit Leadership program requires 36 hours and develops specialized skills for leadership positions with a variety of nonprofits: community and social service agencies, colleges and universities, health care facilities, faith-based and charitable organizations and foundations. The program focuses on developing effective, ethical and visionary leaders building students’ relationship tool kit for success in the nonprofit sector with courses in strategic planning, human resources, fundraising, advocacy and grant writing. In the capstone Field Experience students collaborate with a practicing administrator mentor through the completion of 150-200 hours of internship during which they learn to apply theory to real-world practice.
For unconditional admission to the program, a student must have an undergraduate last-60-hour grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Conditional admission requires an undergraduate overall cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
In addition to the GPA requirement, the screening process requires three letters of
recommendation that address leadership, ethical behaviors, and professional competencies. One letter of recommendation must be written by a current supervisor. In the essay required by Graduate Education, applicants are advised to address the applicant's leadership experiences, qualifications, and ethical considerations of leadership.
Required Courses - 36 hours
- NPL 580 Financial Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations - 3 hrs
- NPL 581 Topics in Nonprofit Leadership 3 hrs (taken twice)
- NPL 582 Grant Writing in Nonprofit Leadership - 3 hrs
- NPL 583 Supervision and Employee Engagement in Nonprofit Leadership - 3 hrs
- NPL 605 Legal and Social Change - 3 hrs
- NPL 606 Digital Media Applications for the Nonprofit Leader - 3 hrs
- NPL 610 Survey in Nonprofit Leadership - 3 hrs
- NPL 612 Strategic Planning in Nonprofit Organizations - 3 hrs
- NPL 673 Effective Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations - 3 hrs
- NPL 686 Field Experience in Administration - 3 hrs
- FCS 541 Research Methods – 3 hrs