Coronavirus Information:
January Interim classes begin Jan. 4, 2021; spring semester classes start Jan. 27, 2021. Coronavirus safety protocols remain in place. More Info »

Social Impact Challenge

Entry Deadline: March 29, 2021

The Turner School of Entrepreneurship and Innovation’s “Social Impact Challenge” is a competition where Bradley University students are challenged to create innovative ideas for sustainable enterprises that will produce a positive impact on the wellbeing of communities, families, or individuals.

Social impact ideas can be pursued using either the non-profit or for-profit organizational structure. Many non-profit entities choose to focus their efforts on solving the world’s most pressing issues, often for a very large or broad constituency, while others may dedicate their efforts exclusively to a local challenge. Those with a for-profit structure may decide that by operating in a socially conscious manner, they can still do financially well by doing good.

Competitors should be prepared to:

  • describe the problem or challenge
  • explain their solution
  • identify the intended beneficiaries of the solution
  • define the type of social impact that will be produced
  • indicate how the social impact will be measured
  • provide details on how the solution will be implemented
Social Impact Challenge Logo

To enter, email your idea summary to:

How Does the Social Impact Challenge Work?

The competition will proceed in a 2-round fashion.

Preliminary Round:

Competitors submit a 5-page paper describing their idea, addressing the bulleted points above. A panel of judges will score the papers, with the top 7 competitors advancing to the Final Round. Paper submission deadline: March 29, 2021.

Final Round:

Competitors provide a 10-minute presentation to judges. The scores of the judge panel comprise 70% of the total score, while audience scores provide the remaining 30%. Presentation Date: April 26, 2021.

Prize Package

Cash and in-kind prizes totaling $10,000 will be awarded to the top three competitors.

How to Enter

To enter the competition, simply email a summary of your idea (5 page maximum) to: Ken Klotz, Managing Director, at:


To prepare the competitors, training sessions will be conducted on writing an effective idea summary, and creating exciting, persuasive presentations. Mentoring will be provided throughout the competition and afterwards as well to help students launch their organizations.

Competition Rules and Eligibility

Teams must comply with the following criteria to be eligible for the competition:

  1. The Social Impact Challenge is limited to teams that include at least one Bradley University student enrolled either full-time or part-time in a degree program.
  2. Non-students are allowed as team members, as long as there is at least one qualifying Bradley University student on the team.
  3. It is acceptable for a competitor to already have earned revenue, however the total entity revenues cannot exceed $100k as of the date of the Preliminary Round.
  4. In the Final Round of the competition, only Bradley University students will be allowed to present.
  5. The Turner School reserves the right to make the final determination of the appropriateness of submitted ideas.


The Turner School considers all submitted ideas as confidential and treats all team matters as such. Due to the nature of the competition, we cannot guarantee complete confidentiality for proprietary matters. Bradley University, the Turner School of Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and the organizers of the competition are not responsible for any proprietary information and/or intellectual property included in a competition idea or submitted plan. Ultimately, protection of sensitive materials (such as: intellectual property, copyright, or patent confidentiality) is the sole responsibility of the competitors participating. Non-Disclosure Agreements will not be signed by judges, mentors, or any Bradley University staff associated with the competition.

Financial Aid

Students can receive financial aid up to a Budgeted Cost of Attendance (COA), which is the estimated cost to attend Bradley University, including tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, transportation costs, and miscellaneous expenses. Please be aware that if this award exceeds your COA, it may cause other previously issued aid such as loans to be reduced. If aid is impacted by this award, distribution of the award can be delayed until the conclusion of the semester. All awards are taxable to the individual recipients.

Are you ready to create a positive impact? If so, email your idea summary to: Ken Klotz, Turner School of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at: or for information call (309) 677-3882.