Make the Right Move! From Idea to Reality (Live Webinar)
Do you have a novel idea, but can’t find “start here” on the map of the entrepreneurial ecosystem? Are you worried about properly protecting your idea? You have come to the right place! The Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Bradley University will help you MAKE THE RIGHT MOVE. We will help you get your future business from idea to action! We will cover first steps, how to seek help, and items to consider when seeking intellectual property protection.
Who should attend:
- New entrepreneurs
- Those striving to formalize their side hustle
- Those with Big Ideas, but stuck at the start of their journey
- People/businesses interested in trademarks, patents, copyrights, or trade secrets
Advantages to attendees:
- First steps in commercializing an idea
- Where to find help with starting a business
- First steps of seeking intellectual property protection
- Build confidence on making the right first move of a new venture
- Eric Sampson is the Director of the Illinois Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Bradley University, Eric advises individuals who want to start a business or expand existing businesses. Areas of assistance include developing business and marketing plans, financial projections, business formation issues, and obtaining financing. He will also assist owners and managers of existing small businesses to identify solutions to business related problems to expand and diversify their sales. Eric has a diverse background in finance, technical development, marketing, and real estate and investment management. He previously served as the CFO and Chief Trading Officer of Edgewater Trading, Inc. His areas of interest include supporting entrepreneurs and local small business owners toward capital funding options, market expansion and improved profitability, and supporting growth, hiring and competitiveness through innovation and effective strategies. Eric received a Bachelor of Science in Finance from Bradley University. He is an organizer of 1 Million Cups, the host of various entrepreneurship and start-up networking events in Peoria.
- Mike Stubbs, Director of Technology Commercialization within the Illinois SBDC, helps companies navigate the convergence of business and technology to meet the evolving needs and wants of customers. This includes providing support in identifying, evaluating, and pursuing technology commercialization projects that lead to innovative products and services. Mike has extensive experience in assisting clients with the financial and economic implications of intellectual property - including patents, trademarks, and trade secrets. Throughout his career, he has pursued opportunities with a focus on innovation. Prior to joining Bradley University, Mike was a Managing Director of FTI Consulting, Inc.’s Intellectual Property practice in Chicago, IL. His eight years of experience at FTI centered on assisting large companies and universities with intellectual property engagements, including valuing patents and other intellectual property. Mr. Stubbs has had the unique opportunity of working on intellectual property matters for which FTI was retained by entities including Apple, Adobe, Stryker, Gilead, University of California-Davis, and the Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital. Throughout this experience, he has assisted companies in the medical device, pharmaceutical, agriculture, handheld device, consumer electronics, and automotive industries, among others. Prior to FTI Consulting, Mr. Stubbs was employed by Deloitte Financial Advisory Services, LLP in Chicago, IL. Mike is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), licensed in Illinois. He is deemed Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA), a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) as awarded by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE), and a Master Analyst in Financial Forensics, specialized in Business and Intellectual Property Damages (MAFF) issued by the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA). He received his Master of Accounting Science and his Bachelor of Science in Accountancy from the Gies College of Business at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Mr. Stubbs was born and raised in Peoria, Illinois and is proud to call Central Illinois his home.