Gifts of Stock or Securities

Method 1 – Electronic Transfers

If your broker holds the securities, instruct your broker to transfer the shares electronically to Bradley University. Please contact the Office of Gift Records at (800) 327-7886 or for Bradley's account information.

Method 2 – Stock Certificate

If gifting physical certificates to Bradley University: Please obtain a separate stock power and have your “signature guaranteed” on the stock power. The stock power looks similar to the back of a stock certificate. A stock power and a “signature guarantee” can normally be obtained from a bank or an investment broker. Please sign your name(s) on the stock power as it is printed on the front of the certificate. Also, please fill in the “transfer unto” space with Bradley University. You do not need to sign the certificate at all when you use a stock power.

Then, to reduce risk, you should mail the stock certificate and the stock power in separate envelopes to:

Bradley University
Attn: Dennis Koch
1501 W. Bradley Avenue
Peoria, IL 61625

You can also transfer the stock by having your signature guaranteed on the back of the certificate and mailing it to Bradley. It should be noted that signing the back of the certificate makes the certificate a negotiable instrument and potentially dangerous if lost.

The date of the gift is the postmark date when mailed by the US Postal Service. The date of delivery is used if the stock gift is delivered by UPS, Fed Ex, or in person. The price of the stock, used in valuing the gift, is the average of the high and low on the date of the gift.

When you mail in your stock, please add a note stating where you want your gift directed.

Method 3 – Brokerage Account

If gifting stock held at the donor’s broker: please have your broker wire transfer the stock from your brokerage account to Bradley’s account at PNC Investments brokerage division (301 S. W. Adams St., Peoria, IL 61631).

If you decide to transfer securities through the DTC system, please make contact via email or phone with either Dennis Koch (, 309-677-3119) at Bradley or Beverly Walker (, 309-655-5455 at PNC Investments to obtain the DTC # and Bradley's account number.

It is important that either Beverly Walker or Dennis Koch be notified of the stock gift to ensure the gift is properly received and credited to Bradley’s account. Without this prior knowledge, it is possible that the DTC transaction will not be successfully completed.

We also have several accounts with different stockbrokers.

The date of the gift is the date the stock is received in the Bradley University account. The price of the stock, used in valuing the gift, is the average of the high and low on the date of the gift. If you have any questions about the transfer process, please contact Dennis Koch at (309) 677-3119.

Method 4 – No Certificate

Please call Dennis Koch at (309) 677-3119 for details.

How To Do It – Mutual Funds

There is no single method to transfer shares in a mutual fund to Bradley University. Call your fund’s 800 number and ask for instructions on transferring shares from your account to Bradley University. Most mutual funds require Bradley University to open an account with the fund to accept a transfer. Usually you must send a letter of instruction, indicating the number of shares and authorizing a transfer into Bradley’s account. Once the transfer occurs, the University will liquidate that account and a check will be issued to us. Bradley will consider your contribution equal to the full amount of the value of the mutual fund on the day of the transfer.

Note: This procedure can take as long as three weeks to complete.

For more information about giving to Bradley University, please contact:

Office of Advancement
1501 West Bradley Avenue
Peoria, IL 61625

Phone: (309) 677-2729
Fax: (309) 677-3379
Toll-free: (800) 327-7886