Director, Center for Cybersecurity, Associate Professor of Management Information Systems
Business and Engineering Convergence Center 3134
D.B.A., Computer Information Systems, Louisiana Tech University
M.B.A., Henderson State University
B.S., Aviation, Henderson State University
Dr. Young is an associate professor of management information systems in the Foster College of Business and the director of the Center for Cybersecurity at Bradley University. He earned his D.B.A. in Computer Information Systems from Louisiana Tech University. He serves as a Senior Advisor on Cybersecurity at the National Whistleblower Center in Washington, D.C and is Bradley University’s point-of-contact for the National Security Agency’s Center for Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense (CAE-CD) program.
- Associate Professor, Bradley University, 2021 – Present
- Assistant Professor, Bradley University, 2015 - 2021
- Graduate Assistant, Louisiana Tech University, 2012 - 2015
- Graduate Assistant, Henderson State University, 2008 – 2009
Honors and Special Recognition
- Best Paper Honorable Mention, Journal of Information Systems Education, 2020
- Caterpillar Faculty Achievement Award for Teaching, Bradley University, 2020
- Student Organization Advisor of the Year, Foster College of Business, 2017
- 2nd Place, Graduate Division, Louisiana Tech University Undergraduate/Graduate Research Symposium, 2013
- Decision Sciences Institute
- Association for Information Systems
- Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Federation of Business Disciplines
- MIS 373 – Applied Networking
- MIS 379 – Information Systems Security
- MIS 483 – Advanced Ethical Hacking
Dr. Young conducts research on privacy, security, and anonymity issues related to information systems with a primary focus on anonymous whistleblowing systems.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Young, J.A., & Farshadkhah, S. (forthcoming) “Hook, Line, and Sinker - The Development of a Phishing Exercise to Enhance Cybersecurity Awareness,” Journal of Information Systems Education.
- Young, J.A., & Farshadkhah, S. (2022) “Teaching Cybersecurity Incident Response Using the Backdoors & Breaches Tabletop Exercise Game,” Cybersecurity Pedagogy and Practice Journal (1)1, 4-17.
- Young, J.A., Courtney, J.F., Bennett, R.J., Ellis, T.S., & Posey, M.C. (2021) “The Impact of Anonymous, Two-Way, Computer-Mediated Communication on Perceived Whistleblower Credibility,” Information Technology & People 34(3), 1119-1151.
- Young, J.A., Smith, T.J., & Zheng, S.H. (2020) “Call Me BIG PAPA: Extending Mason’s Information Ethics Framework to Big Data,” Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems 2020(2), Article 3, 17-41.
- Young, J.A. (2020) “The Development of a Red-Teaming Course,” Journal of Information Systems Education 31(3), 157-178.
- Young, J.A., Biros, D.P., Schuetzler, R.M., Smith, T.J., Stephens, P.R., Syler, R.A., & Zheng, S.H. (2020) “When Programs Collide – A Panel Report on the Competing Interests of Analytics and Security,” Communications of the Association for Information Systems 46(5), 584-602.
- Stephens, P.R., & Young, J.A. (2020) “Real-Time Visual Analytics - An Experiential Learning Activity for Undergraduates,” Information Systems Education Journal 18(6), 4-12.
- Marcum, T.M. & Young, J.A. (2020) “Defining the Whistleblower: The Digital Realty Case and Proposed Legislation,” Richmond Journal of Law & Technology 26(3), 1-23.
- Young, J.A. & Young, K.M. (2019) “Don’t Get Lost in the Crowd: Best Practices for Using Amazon Mechanical Turk in Survey and Experimental Research,” Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems 2019(2), Article 2, 7-34.
- Marcum, T.M. & Young, J.A. (2019) “Blowing the Whistle in the Digital Age: Are You Really Anonymous? The Perils and Pitfalls of Anonymity in Whistleblowing Laws,” DePaul University Business & Commercial Law Journal 17(1), 1-38.
- Burns, A. J.; Young, J.A.; Roberts, T.L.; Courtney, J.F.; and Ellis, T.S. (2015) "Exploring the Role of Contextual Integrity in Electronic Medical Record (EMR) System Workaround Decisions: An Information Security and Privacy Perspective," AIS Transactions on Human-Computer Interaction 7(3), pp. 142-165.
- Bradley Cybersecurity Club, 2022 – Present
- Bradley Information Technology Students, 2021 – 2022
- Association of Information Technology Professionals, 2016 – 2021
- Journal of Information Systems Education, 2022 – Present
- Workshop on Information Security and Privacy (WISP), 2021
- Dewald Roode Workshop on Information Systems Security Research, 2021
- Journal of Communication, Information & Ethics in Society, 2019, 2021
- EDSIG Conference on Information Systems & Computing Education, 2019, 2021
- Midwest Association for Information Systems Conference, 2017 – 2020
- International Conference on Information Systems, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2021, 2023
- Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2015 – 2017, 2020
- Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, 2013 – 2014
- Midwest Association for Information Systems, 2020 – 2022
- Midwest Association for Information Systems Conference, 2024
- Midwest Association for Information Systems Conference, 2021