Professor, Executive Director, Collection Development Librarian
M.L.S., Indiana University – Bloomington
M.A., English Literature, Southern Illinois University – Carbondale
Todd has been at Bradley University Library since 2004. Since that time, he has gradually added more and more responsibilities to his position. He served as Interim Music Librarian, Interim Special Collections Librarian and is now serving as Interim Executive Director. In his role as Collection Development Librarian, he supervises the Technical Services department (purchasing and processing of new library materials), the Interlibrary Loan department (borrowing materials from other libraries) and the Collection Management department (keeping the general stacks in neat and good order). He also manages all Collection Development functions (selecting and de-selecting materials) of the library as well. Todd’s first academic library job was as a student assistant in 1985. Before coming to Bradley, he worked at Arkansas State University, Southeastern Louisiana University and Rhodes College.
Currently, he is the library liaison to several departments/subject areas. These are Family & Consumer Sciences/Dietetics, Philosophy & Religious Studies, Psychology, and Sociology, Criminology and Social Work. As liaison, he teaches library instructions sessions and performs individualized research assistance to students and faculty in these disciplines.
Areas of Research Interest
- Collection development
- Document delivery
- Librarians & autism
- Library seating and space
- Patron driven purchase of articles
- Jaskowiak, Megan and others (2019). We're All in This Together: An Examination of Seating and Space Usage in a Renovated Academic Library. Library Philosophy & Practice, August 2019. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/2645
- Jaskowiak, M., & Spires, M. Todd (2018). Subscription Alternations: Usage of Cancelled Journal Subscriptions via Article Delivery Methods. Serials Review, 44(1). https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00987913.2017.1396099
- Jaskowiak, M., & Spires, T. (2016). The Usage of ILLiad and Get It Now at a US Medium-Sized Academic Library over a Three-Year Period. Interlending & Document Supply, 44(2). http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/ILDS-02-2016-0007
- I-Share Annual Statistical Package. (2009). Chairperson of the CARLI IUG Statistical Reports Task Force which rewrote this document and created new reports for the CARLI (Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois) Annual Statistical Package.
- Burhans, Skip, J.B. Hill and Todd Spires. (2008). Virtual Worlds, Virtual Students: Instructional Possibilities in Second Life. In Virtual Worlds, Real Libraries: Librarians and Educators in Second Life and Other Multi-User Virtual Environments, edited by Lori Bell and Rhonda B. Trueman. Medford, New Jersey: Information Today.
- Spires, Todd. (2008). The Beautiful Game. Library Journal, 133(12): 39-42.
- Spires, Todd. (2008). Handheld Librarians: A Survey of Librarian and Library Patron Use of Wireless Handheld Devices. Internet Reference Services Quarterly, 13(4): 287-309.
- Spires, Todd. (2008). Hand-Held Serials: How Wireless Device Technologies Effect Electronic Journals Now and in the Future. Serials Librarian, 53(4): 141-153.
- Spires, Todd. (2007). The Busy Librarian: Prioritizing Tenure and Dealing with Stress for Academic Professionals. Illinois Libraries, 86(4): 101-108. http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/lda1045.pdf
- CARLI Statewide Serials Collection Task Force Final Report. (2007). Member of the Task Force and co-author of this 44-page report that served as a guideline for archiving and collecting paper and microform serials for the members of CARLI.
- Spires, Todd. (2006). Major Literary Award Winners in the Medium-Sized Academic Library. E-JASL: Electronic Journal of Academic and Special Libraries, 7(2). http://southernlibrarianship.icaap.org/content/v07n02/spires_t01.htm
- Spires, Todd. (2006). Using OCLC’s WorldCat Collection Analysis to Evaluate Peer Institutions. Illinois Libraries, 86(2): 11-19. http://cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/lda1045.pdf
- Spires, Todd and J.B. Hill. (2005). Outsourcing and Privatization in Libraries: Ethical Concerns. Memphis, TN: Proceedings of the EEI21 – Memphis: Ethics of Electronic Information in the 21st Century Conference.
- 37 published book reviews on sports and popular music topics between 2005-2020 in Library Journal.
- Jaskowiak, Megan and Todd Spires. (2017). How Should We Get This?: the Use of Get It Now and Other Collection Development Tools as Serials Collection Develop Tools. 2017 Charleston Acquisitions Conference.
- Jaskowiak, Megan and Todd Spires. (2017). A New Paradigm: Article Delivery Services at Cullom-Davis Library. Bradley University Spring Forum.
- Spires, Todd and Lynn Fields. (2014). Ebook PDA 101, How to Get Started (in a Nutshell). Ebook Patron Driven Acquisitions Forum (CARLI).
- Spires, Todd. (2014). Ingram/MyILibrary. Ebook Patron Driven Acquisitions (CARLI).
- Spires, Todd. (2014). Assessing Copyright Clearance Center’s Get it Now Service. Illinois Association of College and Research Libraries (IACRL) Pre-Conference.
- Spires, Todd. (2009). Improving the Annual Statistics Package: A Report of the IUG Statistics Task Force. CARLI IUG Spring Reports Forum 2009.
- Fisher, Janet, Todd Spires and Kate Duff. (2007). Librarians, Aggregators, and Publishers: Can We All Live Together? XXVII Annual Charleston Conference.
- Galik, Barbara, Todd Spires and others. (2007). Social Technologies and Academic Libraries: What They Are and How They Could Work for You. CARLI Public Services Workshop.
- Spires, Todd and Skip Burhans. (2007). Introduction of Library Services for New Faculty. Bradley New Faculty Forum.
- Melian, Carlos, Sandy Roe, Ted Schwitzner and Todd Spires. (2006). The Flip: Moving from Print to Electronic. CARLI I-Share User’s Group Acquisitions & Serials Team Annual Forum.
- Spires, Todd. (2005). Outsourcing and Privatization in Libraries: Ethical Concerns. EEI21 – Memphis: the Ethics of Electronic Information in the 21st Century 2005.
- Chair, CARLI Collections Working Group, 2012-2013
- Chair, CARLI I-Share User’s Group Statistical Task Force, 2008-2009.
- Member, ACRL (Association of College and Research Libraries) Lazerow Fellowship for Research in Acquisitions/ Technical Services Committee, 2008-2009.
- Associate Editor. E-JASL: Electronic Journal of Academic and Special Libraries. (2004-2009) http://southernlibrarianship.icaap.org/
- Member, CARLI I-Share User’s Group Acquisitions/Serials Team, 2006-2008.
- Stagehand, Penguin Project’s Guys and Dolls, East Peoria, Illinois, 2007.
- Member, CARLI< Statewide Serials Task Force, 2006-2007.
- Board Member, River City Blues Society, Peoria, Illinois, 2005-2006.