All Slane College of Communications and Fine Arts students are required to have a laptop computer to complete their coursework. Students arriving with older or less powerful laptops that do not meet the recommended specifications of each major may find that they need to upgrade to a newer laptop at some point while attending Bradley University.
All student laptops should meet the following minimum specifications. You may purchase above and beyond these specs. Some departments and majors have specific requirements or hardware recommendations.
Minimum Specifications for All Students
- Computer made within the past 3 years (2017 or newer)
- 256GB SSD (Solid State Drive) (more space is preferable)
- 8GB RAM (16GB RAM is preferable)
- Able to run the current version of Mac OS or Windows
Below are the specific laptop requirements by department and major.
Art and Design
- Graphic Design or Photography: MacBook Pro (see minimum specifications above) Recommend: 16GB RAM & 512GB SSD storage
- All other Art and Design: MacBook Pro OR a comparable PC laptop (see minimum specifications above)
- Animation or User Experience Design: Macbook Pro OR a Windows Gaming laptop (MacBook Pro is preferred but not required) Recommend: 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD storage
- Game Design: Windows Gaming Laptop (recommended) or MacBook Pro Recommend: 16GB RAM memory & 512GB SSD storage
- Game Art: Windows Gaming Laptop with Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070M GPU (formerly GTX 1070M) Recommend: 16GB RAM memory and 512GB SSD storage
Microsoft is offering Office 365 Education free for educational purposes.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Many CFA students will take courses requiring Adobe Creative Cloud, a package of industry standard creativity tools used to design professional grade audio, video, graphic, and special effects projects. Students may need Adobe Creative Cloud as specific courses require it.
Students in the Department of Interactive Media and the Department of Art & Design will need Adobe Creative Cloud for the entire four years for all of their courses.
Please delay purchasing Adobe Creative Cloud until the fall semester begins.
Shop around for educational pricing on hardware and software. Often there are significant discounts for educational purchases. Bradley University tech support endorses ThinkEDU.com for educational pricing. for educational pricing.
Individual courses may require additional software specific to the course.
We recommend adding a rider to your home/renter insurance policy to provide comprehensive coverage to your laptop. Insurance is available from most retailers but may not be cost effective for the coverage received.
We recommend you purchase an external hard drive to store large content and to back up your laptop.