Extramural Proposal Policies

Most requests for external funding (whether through grants, contracts, awards, or agreements) are made by the University on behalf of a project director (PD) or principal investigator (PI) and must be routed through the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP). The awards from these proposals are made to Bradley University, and OSP and the Controller’s Office work with the PD or PI to ensure compliance with both University and funding source policies, procedures, and regulations. If a fellowship or prize is awarded directly to a PD or PI and not managed by the Controller’s Office (for example, an ACLS or Fulbright Fellowship Award or a research prize from a professional organization), it is still in your best interest to route your proposal through OSP. The Controller’s Office will be able to advise you on strategies for preparing a budget, and the OSP office can serve as an additional check for compliance with the submission guidelines. It also gives your department chair and college dean the chance to recognize and support your efforts, ensuring the commitment of any resources, supplies, or time you need to complete the project.