Management Information Systems
Engage Business and Society
A major in Management Information Systems (MIS) is for people who love to solve problems and would like to develop the IT skills necessary to do so.
Opportunity to Innovate
Foster's MIS major provides a strong foundation in Information Systems/Technology (IS/IT) knowledge and skills focused on organizations.
Whether it be the Cloud, Big Data, IS/IT Security, or IS Services, through the MIS program, you will develop business-focused IS/IT skills including: application development, systems analysis and design, business intelligence, data networking, and database management and administration.
Many MIS majors will join the Association of Information Technology Professionals (AITP), a student organization that allows students to explore careers in information technology, such as systems analysts, consultants, and positions that combine people skills, business understanding, and technical knowledge.
Impact the World
Foster College MIS graduates experience a 97% placement rate. You may work for one of the following companies or firms which hire Foster MIS students:
- Caterpillar Inc.
- Edward Jones
- State Farm Insurance
Entry-level job titles for MIS graduates include:
- Business or systems analyst
- Information technology consultant
- Business application developer
- Network administrator or specialist
Requirements for the management information systems major are:
- Three programming courses:
- MIS 276 Developing Information Systems for E-commerce
- One of the following sequences:
- MIS 175 & MIS/CIS 275 or & CS 101 & CS 102
- MIS 272 Management Applications of Personal Computers
- MIS 375 Business Systems Analysis and Design
- MIS 478 Implementing Business Computer Systems
- MIS 373 Business Data Communications or MIS 374 Database Management and Administration
- Two of the following:
- MIS 357 Leadership and Interpersonal Behavior
- MIS 373 Business Data Communications
- MIS 374 Database Management and Administration
- MIS 378 HCI & Usability Testing
- MIS 379 Information Security