Engage Business and Society
As an Actuary, you will use mathematics, statistical techniques, finance, and economics to determine the likelihood of future events.
Your skills will be highly sought after by:
- Insurance companies
- Investment firms
- Employee benefits consulting firms
- Financial risk companies
Opportunity to Innovate
The Actuarial Science program prepares you to successfully complete three exams (P, FM, and MLC) offered by the Society of Actuaries (SOA) and the Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS).
Internship opportunities include companies such as Caterpillar Inc., Aon Hewitt, RLI Corp., Mutual of Omaha, State Farm Insurance, and Tower Watson.
You may join Gamma Iota Sigma (the national association for risk management students), Phi Chi Theta (a co-ed business fraternity) and the Financial Management Association (FMA).
Course Requirements for Actuarial Science – Business Major:
- Complete the business core, substituting MTH 325 and 326 for QM 262 and 263, respectively; and substituting IME 313 for BMA 353.
- MIS 175 Introduction to Developing Business Applications
- MTH 121 Calculus I
- MTH 122 Calculus II
- MTH 223 Calculus III
- MTH 207 Elementary Linear Algebra with applications
- MTH 325 Probability and Statistics I
- MTH 326 Probability and Statistics II
- MTH 335 Topics in Actuarial Science
- MTH 335 Topics in Actuarial Science (repeated under different topics)
- MTH 427 Applied Statistical Methods
- IME 313 Operations Research I
All students must successfully complete three additional 3-credit-hour courses chosen from:
- ECO 301 Money and Banking
- FIN 325 Investment Analysis
- FIN 327 Derivatives
- FIN 328 Financial Institutions and Markets
- FIN 423 Advanced Business Finance
- FIN 425 Portfolio Theory
- ASB 315 Risk and Insurance
All students must sit for at least one professional actuarial exam administered by the Society of Actuaries.
Impact the World
A career in Actuarial Science is consistently named one of the “Best Jobs in America” by Jobs Related Almanac. Recent graduates enjoy a 100% career outcomes rate and are employed by firms including:
- RLI Corp.
- COUNTRY Financial
- Pekin Insurance
“The Foster College of Business does a fantastic job of providing students with coursework that is both highly applicable to their major field of study and rounds out their business education.”
– Alex DiVerde ‘16