Concentration In Software, Web, And Computer Security
The concentration in software, web, and computer security prepares you for a career keeping information, networks, applications and systems safe.
Ready For Anything
The concentration in software, web, and computer security prepares is available for both computer science and computer information systems majors, introduces you to tools and techniques companies, industries and governments use to secure information. Courses cover network security, cryptography and other cyber security issues. These courses add to your foundation in web technology, systems, programming, networking and other technology-focused topics.
By the time you graduate, your experiences include:
- Research and projects in small classes and groups
- Internship opportunities at organizations such as Walgreens, Caterpillar, the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, ProducePro and Illinois Mutual Insurance.
- A yearlong senior project with a local business client
- Networking, career development and programming contests through the Association for Computing Machinery student chapter
Making Your Mark
The concentration in software, web, and computer security prepares is valuable in many technical settings. Recent graduates have found careers in security at Caterpillar, J.P. Morgan Chase, Zurich North American Insurance and other financial institutions.
Required Courses - 12 hrs.
- MIS 379: Information System Security, or equivalent - 3 hrs.
- CIS 415: Applied Cryptography - 3 hrs.
- CIS 435: Computer Networks and System Security - 3 hrs.
- CIS 495: Software and Web Applications Security - 3 hrs.