Coronavirus Information:
Bradley University will continue on-campus, in-person classes for the spring 2021 semester with limited restrictions.


As an F-1 or J-1 student in the United States, you are responsible for maintaining and understanding your immigration status. This includes reading your immigration documents and asking questions when you have them. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) is here to help you.


Check-in with OISSS in person upon arrival and attend mandatory orientation.

Maintain Valid Immigration Documents

Keep your passport valid and begin the process to renew within 6 months of the expiration date. Also know the end date of your I-20 (for F-1 students) or DS-2019 (for J-1 students) and be sure that you apply for any extensions before this date.

Maintain Health Insurance

Purchase and maintain health insurance that meets the Department of State immigration requirements.

Report Updates

Update all contact information (such as change in address, phone number, or email) within 10 days of the change. Also update OISSS with any changes to your status or program of study.

Register Full-Time

Register for a full-time load (as shown below). Anytime you are not enrolled full-time, you must receive approval from OISSS before dropping a course or registering for a part-time course load.

  • Undergraduate students: 12 credit hours per semester
  • Graduate students: 9 credit hours per semester

F-1 students cannot count more than 3 credits hours of online coursework towards their full-time enrollment.

J-1 students cannot count any online coursework towards their full-time enrollment.

F-1 and J-1 students cannot be enrolled in only online coursework in their first or last semester.

Do Not Work Illegally

F-1 and J-1 students may work on-campus for up to 20 hours per week. J-1 students must be authorized in writing by OISSS before beginning a job.

All off-campus work for both F-1 and J-1 students must be authorized before it begins.

Travel Outside the U.S. With Permission

Request a travel signature from OISSS before traveling outside of the U.S.

Avoid Criminal Activity

Obey all federal, state, and local laws, along with the applicable immigration laws. If you are arrested and charged with a crime, it is recommended that you consult with an immigration attorney/lawyer.