International students must register for and complete a full course-load each semester (not including summer). Students who drop below a full course-load without Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISSS) approval will be reported to SEVIS. If this occurs, your SEVIS record will be terminated. Full-time enrollment (during fall and spring semester) minimums are below:
- Undergraduate students: 12 credit hours
- Graduate students: 9 credit hours*
- Summer enrollment: 12 credit hours** for undergraduate students, 6 credit hours** for graduate students
*Note: In order to maintain your immigration status, you cannot be enrolled in only GRD699, as this enrollment is only used for administrative purposes.
**Note: Summer enrollment for continuing students is optional and considered a vacation. However, if summer is your first or last semester, you must be enrolled full-time or have an approved reduced course load from OISSS. Summer includes May I, May II, Summer I, and Summer II terms.
International students are limited in the number of online courses they can take. Online courses are noted by a blank computer icon in Webster. (Computer icons with H are hybrid courses and are not considered online for immigration purposes.) International student cannot be enrolled in only online courses during their first or last term at Bradley.
- F-1 students – you can only take 3 credit hours of online coursework as part of your full-time enrollment requirement
- J-1 students – you cannot take any online coursework as part of your full-time enrollment requirement
Reduced Course Load
All international students must be approved for a reduced course load each term by OISSS before dropping below or enrolling in less than full-time, including January or summer terms if they are your first or last semester. In order to be approved, student must first submit a completed Reduced Course Load Request.
The reasons for a possible reduced course load include the following:
- Final Term – to complete your course of study requirements in the current term (must be enrolled in final requirements for program and complete within the term)
- Medical – documented illness or medical condition (may be enrolled in nothing if recommended and approved; maximum of 12 months for degree program)
- Academic Difficulties – improper course level placement, initial difficulty with reading requirements, initial difficulty with the English language, unfamiliarity with American teaching methods (first semester only; must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours)
Documentation Required for Reduced Course Load
- Reduced Course Load Request
- First Semester RCL Advisor Confirmation Form – Use this if you are experiencing academic difficulties in your first semester. This form is required in order to submit the Reduced Course Load Request and it must be completed by your undergraduate academic advisor or graduate coordinator.
- Last Semester RCL Advisor Confirmation Form – Use this form if you are in your final semester and are expecting to graduate. This form is required in order to submit the Reduced Course Load Request and it must be completed by your undergraduate academic advisor or graduate coordinator.
Regulations allow an F-1 student to be enrolled in two different institutions at the same time (concurrent enrollment) as long as the enrollment at both schools amount to a full-time course of study and the majority of the course work is taken at Bradley University. If you wish to take a course at a different university, while still being enrolled at Bradley, you and your academic advisor/graduate coordinator will need to complete the Concurrent Enrollment Form and return it to OISSS.