There is no major called “pre-med”, nor is there any particular major which is required for admission to medical schools. Bradley University offers a wide range of excellent majors, courses and opportunities which prepare students well for admission to medical schools. Students should choose a major based on their personal interests and abilities, and then meet with both their Academic (within their major) and Pre-Health Advisor (Dr. Bennett) regularly to ensure that they are taking the necessary courses (and at the right time) to meet their major and graduation requirements, as well as required and recommended courses for admission to medical schools. These pre-requisites can be taken as part of the major, Bradley Core, or free electives towards graduation, thus allowing students flexibility with their choice of major, and the ability to customize their pre-med plan.
The following majors and minors are most popular among pre-med students, because they incorporate many of the pre-requisite courses into the major requirements:
- Biology: Cell and Molecular Biology-Preprofessional Concentration
- Biology: Medical Technology Concentration
- Biomedical Science : Pre-Med Concentration
- Chemistry - Pre-Medical Concentration
- Kinesiology and Health Sciences
- Mechanical Engineering: Biomedical Engineering Concentration