The Spanish minor introduces you to the language, cultures and literature of the Spanish-speaking world. Courses give you practice speaking and writing the language while you explore culture, literature and film. Beyond the classroom, you can participate in conversation tables, the Spanish Club and the Global Scholars program on campus or travel abroad through Bradley’s multiple short-term and semester long study abroad programs. The minor is open to all students and is often paired with majors such as business, communication, psychology, sociology, international studies and other world languages.
Required Courses - 9 hrs.
- WLS 303: Composition - 3 hrs.
- *WLS 304: Conversation - 3hrs.
- WLS 315: Introduction to Literature - 3 hrs.
Literature Course (choose one) - 3 hrs.
- WLS 340: Spanish Literature I - 3 hrs.
- WLS 341: Spanish Literature II - 3 hrs.
- WLS 342: Survey of Hispanic American Literature I - 3 hrs.
- WLS 343: Survey of Hispanic American Literature II - 3 hrs.
- WLS 345: Women’s Voices of Latin America - 3 hrs.
- WLS 346: Women’s Voices of Spain - 3 hrs.
- WLS 347: Images and Texts in the Hispanic World - 3 hrs.
- WLS 380: Hispanic American Short Story - 3 hrs.
- WLS 385: Poetry of Latin America - 3 hrs.
- WLS 425: Contemporary Hispanic American Novels - 3 hrs.
Elective Courses (choose two) – 6 hrs.
- WLS 202: Intermediate Spanish 2 – 3 hrs.
- WLS 222: Spanish for Heritage Speakers – 3hrs.
- WLS 301: Spanish for Health Care Professionals – 3hrs.
- WLS 305: Peru Interim: Andean Cultures - 3 hrs.
- WLS 306: Topics in Spanish History and Culture - 3-9 hrs.
- WLS 307: Costa Rica Interim: A Contemporary Perspective - 3 hrs.
- WLL 311: Introduction to Language - 3 hrs.
- WLS 316: Topics in Hispanic Language and Literature – 3 hrs.
- WLS 320: Spanish Phonetics - 3 hrs.
- WLS 321: Peninsular Spanish Civilization and Culture - 3 hrs.
- WLS 322: Latin-American Civilization and Culture - 3 hrs.
- WLS 330: Hispanic Cultural History - 3 hrs.
- WLS 334: Commercial Spanish - 3 hrs.
- WLS 403: Advanced Conversation and Composition - 3 hrs.
- WLS 430: Introduction to Translation - 3 hrs.
- WLS 490: Topics in Hispanic Language and Literature - 3 hrs.
- WLS 492: Practicum - 1-3 hrs.
- WLS 495: Independent Study - 1-3 hrs.
*This course is designed for non-native and non-near-native speakers. Students with native or near-native proficiency must substitute another 300-level Spanish course.
Total Hours = 18