Application Deadline: October 15, 2020
For the class beginning in June 2020 applications will be accepted starting July 3, 2019.
Admittance to the Bradley University Doctor of Physical Therapy program is competitive and the spaces per class are limited to 27, thus applicants are encouraged to apply early. While we do not have an early acceptance date, the Admission Committee may accept highly qualified applicants prior to the deadline. The application deadline is October 15, 2020. All application materials must be received by this date. Applications complete after this date will not be reviewed. It is the applicant’s responsibility to see that all materials have been received by PTCAS by October 15, 2019. It is to your advantage to apply early so that any unanticipated delays in your application process may be resolved by the application deadline. You may contact PTCAS to check if all materials have arrived. All information necessary for completing your application can be found at PTCAS and on this site. Please read the following instructions carefully, and if you have questions at any time, contact Carol Wessler at (309) 677-3489, or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we do not conduct interviews with applicants for the Physical Therapy program. Thus the information you provide in your application solely determines your acceptance or denial.
The Bradley University Doctor of Physical Therapy program begins in June (Summer Session 1) of each year. Accepted students coming to Bradley University must have a bachelor’s degree by the first day of class and be ready to attend classes by the first week in June. Accepted students must be able to progress through the curriculum in the required sequence of courses.
The Bradley University Doctor of Physical Therapy program subscribes to the Physical Therapy Centralized Admission System (PTCAS). To apply you must apply to PTCAS AND follow the directions below.
Submit your official GRE scores to code #7706 for the Bradley University Doctor of Physical Therapy program. Do not use any other Bradley University GRE code. GRE scores for code #7706 will automatically be sent to PTCAS. Using any other Bradley GRE code will result in your official scores not being seen. Please refer to the PTCAS website for more information on sending your GRE scores to PTCAS.
The Department of Physical Therapy usually offers a limited number of half-time Graduate Assistantships. These positions are competitive and apply to only one academic year of the program. In return for working within the department for 10 hours per week, a GA will receive a partial tuition remission and minimal stipend. Because our application process begins so early, we cannot guarantee these positions until late in the Spring semester. A separate application process is required and will be initiated after you are fully admitted into the program and have started classes in the summer.
Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation are required, preferably one from an academic reference, and one from a supervisor/employer reference. For specific instructions, please see the Bradley directory page at www.ptcas.org. Recommendations must be completed online through the PTCAS application. Letters of recommendation mailed directly to the Bradley Dept. of Physical Therapy and Health Science will not be considered.
Additional Admissions Considerations
- Essential Skills: It is expected that students entering the program will be able to meet the technical standards of the program with or without reasonable accommodation. Please read these standards before applying. (Essential Skills)
- Criminal Background: While it will have no effect on your admission to our program, please be advised that conviction of certain felonies may preclude your ability to become licensed as a physical therapist in certain states, including Illinois. If admitted to the program, a criminal background check will be done before your first clinical, at your expense.
- International Students: Foreign (non-U.S.) citizens with a visa, and Canadian citizens are eligible for admission. However, do not send foreign or Canadian documentation to PTCAS, or to our Department. Our policy is to consider only U.S. courses. Only applicants with undergraduate degrees from U.S. schools will be eligible for admission.
- Competitive Advantage: Admission to the DPT program is competitive. High grades and high test scores will make your application more competitive. However, the Admissions Committee looks at other factors as well. The following items, though not required, will make your application stronger and thus increase the likelihood of admission, or being ranked higher on the wait list.
- Course Requirements: All required courses must be completed by the time you start the program. However, some students have waited until the year they apply to take several science courses. This makes it difficult for the Committee to make a decision on your academic abilities. It is highly recommended that you complete all of your required science courses before you apply. Those who have several courses incomplete, though plan to finish by the time the program starts, will be at a competitive disadvantage.
- Exposure to Physical Therapy and Health Care: Most applicants have seriously considered physical therapy for some time and have been exposed to physical therapy either by observing and/or actually working in a physical therapy department. Please include these experiences in the PTCAS activities section. A minimum number of hours are not required, but at least 40 hours of observation or experience in a variety of physical therapy settings is highly recommended. Some applicants have worked in health care in some capacity. These experiences should be highlighted as well. See the additional web page “The Successful Applicant”
Payment of Graduate School Processing Fee
A non-refundable Graduate School processing fee of $40 ($50 for international applicants) is required. This fee is in addition to the PTCAS Application Fee and is submitted directly to Bradley University. Payment by credit card only, no checks or money orders will be accepted. Use the following link for on-line payment of the processing fee. Your application will not be processed unless this fee is submitted.